Blurry outlines around anything that moves on 4k Hitachi TV

nwarde79

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I keep getting blurry outlines around anything that moves on my Hitachi 4K Ultra HD TV. This only seems to happen if I’m watching football or a movie. Could it be because I’m using regular HDMI cables instead of 4k HDMI cables or do you think I need to change something in picture settings? Thanks

Is this from the TV's internal tuner and/or apps, or an external source ? Either way, it doesn't sound like a symptom of a dodgy HDMI cable.

It could be the TV isn't great at handling that kind of motion.

You could try experimenting with the TV's motion interpolation / film smoothing settings - this could potentially make things better or introduce artifacts and make things look worse !

Thanks for replying.

This is from the TV’s internal tuner and Amazon Firestick (both just tried Netflix), same problem with all the external sources except playing a game on the Nintendo Switch.

A 4k video on Youtube looks fine but if it’s a movie on Youtube or Sky or Netflix with a car being driven or a footballer running, the blurry outline like watermark appears. TV is about a month old and 50”

Also where can I find the TV's motion interpolation / film smoothing settings? Can’t find anything like that in the TV’s picture settings.

If it happens with all sources, then that rules out any HDMI issues.

You can often find motion interpolation settings in the Picture menu - if it's not obvious, look in the Advanced menu if your TV has one. Every manufacturer calls it something different. Video 5 on this page suggests Hitachi may call it 'Reel 120 Motion'.

There's no guarantee that playing with the motion interpolation settings will solve your particular problem, but it's often the only motion-related setting that can be altered, so it's worth a look.

Last edited:
If it happens with all sources, then that rules out any HDMI issues.

You can often find motion interpolation settings in the Picture menu - if it's not obvious, look in the Advanced menu if your TV has one. Every manufacturer calls it something different. Video 5 on this page suggests Hitachi may call it 'Reel 120 Motion'.

There's no guarantee that playing with the motion interpolation settings will solve your particular problem, but it's often the only motion-related setting that can be altered, so it's worth a look.
Couldn’t find my TV on that link you gave, its a Hitachi 50 Inch 50HK6100UC Smart 4K UHD HDR LED Freeview TV, and I can’t find Reel 120 Motion anywhere in picture settings😞

Read page 19 of your TV's user manual…”Movie Sense”

Couldn’t find my TV on that link you gave, its a Hitachi 50 Inch 50HK6100UC Smart 4K UHD HDR LED Freeview TV, and I can’t find Reel 120 Motion anywhere in picture settings😞
You can find the support page for your TV (including manual) here and you're right - there isn't any reference to Hitachi's 'Reel 120 Motion' option used on some of their other TVs, however if you look through the 'Settings Menu Content' section on page 19, there is one called 'MEMC' which it says "will optimize the TV’s video settings for motional images to acquire a better quality and readability" which may amount to the same thing so you could try experimenting with that setting. The MEMC Demo option splits the screen to allow you to see the effect this setting has. Pick some worst-case content and give it a go.

If that doesn't help, you could also try putting the TV into the 'Sport' picture mode - this isn't usually a particularly accurate mode, but it may help when watching sport with fast motion. If the problem is due to artifacts, then some of the other advanced settings that could introduce them are Noise Reduction and De-contour. It's usually a good idea to have image processing options turned off unless you have a specific reason to have them on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom