1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blurring on screen of davis dls 8

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adam M, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

some time back I noticed a patch of discolouration on the screen. It seems to be having a dispersion effect on the light.

I wiped to lens trying to remove it but have been unsuccessful and it is highly noticable when the picture shows teh sky or any such scene.

The bulb recently blew and in replacing I had hoped that CAV systems would take a loko but it has come back unchanged.

in fcat as time goes on I am noticing more and more of the spots or patches.

I am wondering if it is infact dust either inside the projector or on the lens.

I am inclined to thinking it is external.

Hasd anyone else suffered witht his type of thing before, and what is the best solution?

is it simply some kind of photographic lens cleaner?

any advice would be most welcome

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try focusing the lens right through it's range. If it is dust then it should become sharp.

3. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    a great idea. thanks. will give it a go tonight. f it is, how do I get rid of it?

is it feasible for it to be internal?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Paul,

How have you found the service with CAV?

I've had a problem with my DLS8 which is yet to be fixed. I'm curious if you had the same experiences with them as I'm having...

Most dust blob problems are internal, I'm surprised they didn't clean it for you while they had it apart. I'll have to ask them if they do it as a matter of course, or charge extra.

Gary.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam,

The Davis DLS8 is a DLP projector and can suffer from dust on the chip itself. The dust cannot be directly focused upon unlike an LCD projector due to the focal length of the lens. When dust shows up on a DLP unit it appears as a mottled effect rather than a specific bit of dust.

Did you know that Davis is no longer and no longer trade in the UK or any where that I know and there is also no official service centre in the UK.

If you require the machine cleaning then do not hesistate to contact me, I have over 6years experience repairing/servicing LCD/DLP projectors.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Davrob,

CAV Systems LTD (Wandsworth) are the official service people for Davis now, as Davis have said they will be giving support for a further 5 years via their service people.

CAV have only just recently gained the contract, and I'm currently dealing with them with an under warranty repair.

I won't comment yet on the service so far, but they said the parts they think will fix it should be delivered any day now, so I'm hoping to get it fixed this time.

When the warranty runs out, you may have another customer... :)

How much to clean dust blobs from a DLS8? ;)

Cheers.

Gary.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,

Just had a quick look at your home cinema in your loft, pretty much same style/size room I have here in my workshop.

Nice speakin

8. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I tried focusing but it wasnt happening.

I am not convinced it is likely to be that as the number of of particles (mottling) is increasing too often.

Are they not sealed inside?