Blurred Text on Digital TVs

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by techSi, Sep 4, 2004.

1. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the JVC HV36P38SJE and although the picture is superb when viewing DVD media, the text display of cable and terrestrial TV is oftern quite blurred. I have turned off all the image enhancement (Digipure, Colour Digipure and VNR) and this actually improves the text display.
    The teletext display is perfect, no blurring at all on any of the colours, even white on black. However, blurring is also apparent when watching Scooby Doo like cartoons where there is a lot of stark colours next to each other.
    This is evident whether the picture is zoomed or not. 4:3 mode or panoramic.
    Is this a common phenomenon with new TVs that use Digital enhancment?
    I had an old Sony Trinitron 4:3 32 inch before and the images on that were perfect. Only had to replace it because it started to go wrong.
    Any help or advice appreciated.
    techSi.

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TechSi have a look at my thread titled "the nightmare continues"

3. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, what did you do with your TV.
    If it is the converenge, how come the teletext image is so good?
    There is no bleed on any of the colours on teletext.
    Very disappointing though.
    I am thinking of getting my money back on the 14 day return policy.
    Shame though because 899 pounds was an excellent price when it normally retails there at 1300. Have seen it on the web for 1075.
    I have emailed JVC too but have no reply yet.
    Annoying to when you read all the hype about what it is supposed to be able to do with all this Digipure etc. It's a better picture with it all turned off!
    Let me know what you ended up doing with yours.
    techSi

4. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I get mine delivered on Saturday, so would be very interested in what you both do with your sets! ;)

5. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also be very interested in how you rate the picture. Let us know when you get it.

Don't get me wrong though. For the price of 899 it is a superb TV. Im just disappointed in the terrestrial and cable picture quality that it reproduces.

It must be something to do with the processing and not convergence as the DVD reproduction is so good. With all the digital processing turned off, apart from DIST, it DVD picture is spot on.

Anyone care to add what causes blurred images, especially text on a Digital TV. Rule out convergence as the picture is excellent for DVD and Teletext.

techSi

6. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Will pass comment on it next weekend for you, it's got to be better than my goldfish bowl 32" Fidelity widescreen Asda special!

I'll have Xbox, DVD and Pace Sky box connected, never watch terrestrial TV through the aerial, so we'll see how it goes. :)

7. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's related, but I noticed a very strange effect on my Tosh.white text on a dark background, where the white text bloomed outside where it should be until I turned SVM off. The manual doesn't tell you how to switch SVM off either (on a tosh go to picture mode 3 and then make adjustments - it gets saved to picture mode M. Do a search here for SVM.

8. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried turning everything off last night and it did seem to get rid of a lot of the noise and artifacts but the amount of detail also went as well. There is a mode that you can use to demo the DIST where it halves the screen with one side on and the other off. It would seem to me that the picture is far cleaner with it off though the image is noticibly softer than with it on.

I have tried a compromise and set the D NR to max and the Digipure to min and the rest to off and it seems to be better. This has the benefit of the sharper image but less noise. I am going to give this a try to see what it is like befreo I decide on what to do. As you said it is a fantastic price for a 36"tv.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,057
    Try turning the contrast down.

10. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, So after running a DVD with the THX TV setup utility and by pasuing some suitable stills on my DVD player I have found the following settings satisfactory.
    I found that the contrast was set too high in the default (standard) setting.
    The brightness was way to dull. (The THX logo was not even visible in that part of the THX set up test).
    VNR is set to min.
    As you flick between Digipure off / min/ max the picture changes vastly even with a good dvd input ) (im using RGB in a scart to EXT1 which the manual states takes an RGB input over scart, and have set the DVD menu accordingly). With Digipure on off there is a marked loss of fine detail and text is atrocious. With it set to min the picture and 'focus' improve markedly.
    The manual recommends it is not set to max for a good input signal.
    All other functions I have left switched off.
    This produces a fantastic DVD image.
    TV through my pace NTL box over scart S video is also good, however, if you sit any closer than 8 feet or so digital artifacts (squarilisation) appears on moving images of similar colours. From over 7 or 8 feet the picture is perfect, and you cant see these artifacts and the image is clear and I am very satisfied with it now.
    It is interesting that it has taken me a great deal of research on the web and these forums to get to this result. It's a shame the manuals are not a bit more honest and explain how to set up modern TVs and even supply a test disk.
    One final point. On the THX disk the convergence test of vertical lines showed areas where colours were apparent between the black and white lines but I read that the chances of getting a large TV with no convergence errors is unlikely. Is this true? Is it worth pursuing convergence issues with an engineer? Is there anything they can do once the set is installed?
    Thanks for your replies. I hope that anyone who buys this set will read this thread and has success with getting a good picture with the above settings.

techSi

11. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank's techSi, I'll try those settings later on tonight and post the results later. :smashin:

12. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wasn't I speaking to you on another forum earlier this week about this tv? ;)

13. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Yep, will report back on both forums! :smashin:

14. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have came accross something else which may be a fault. I have noticed on several occasions (3 times today) that when I turn the TV on there is no sound. I have to turn it off and back on again to be able to hear anything.

Anyone else had this?

15. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not so far but I've got a buzzing noise coming from the back of the tv when I go to the freeview teletext and an image fill's the screen? :eek:

16. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That was the problem with my JVC. With Digipure off the picture was far too soft. At minimum it adds detail thats not there. Two adjacent colours have a line between them. The DVE disk (contrast setting and sharpness) is good at showing its shortcomings. Turning the contrast down helps but with poor convergence too I found, as you did, that text is not good and at Wimbledon, say, all the white shirts had a shadow/halo/line around them. Digipure minimum, Colour and VNR off was about the best for most things.

17. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try some superior scart leads to see it that changes the 'halo' effect of the white colours. My contrast is turned down a fair bit in accordance with the test screen on the THX utility.
    Interestingly, I spoke to a TV engineer who explained that the convergence is changed automatically dependent upon the input signal to the TV. This would explain why its own Teletext signal is so sharp. Perhaps a poorer input is reflected on how well its convergence performs. I will post next week when my new Scart leads come, whether this has improved any.
    The NTL pace box is restricted to only outputting a composite or RGB signal on the scart.
    Anyone else with this TV getting any better results with the setting I mentioned in my earlier posts?
    techSi

18. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Won't find out tomorrow if it's any good, rang today to confirm delivery, was told they're out of stock! :mad: The last contact I had off them was to confirm delivery tomorrow, not a happy man!!! :suicide:

19. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Broona see my post's in the nightmare continue's thread for an update on my tv.

Colin.