1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blurred recording

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GJS, Jul 21, 2004.

1. GJS

GJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to edit some video, and the resulting files are of such poor quality, the recycle bin is the only place to put them.

I have not had the camera long, and have only edited a few small clips previously, but everything worked ok before.

I am using pinnacle 6 se which came with the camera, plus have a couple of "cover disk" programs. All of these programs were working fine.

At the weekend I filmed a lot of motorsport, and wanted to edit it into a neat little movie. I had 2 tapes worth, both 90 minutes long so was going to need a fair bit of disk space.

My 60gb hard disk is partitioned into three parts.
    c: 20gb for windows and programs
    d: 20gb for games
    e: 20gb data/downloads

in order to give myself some room to work, i resized the partitions (partition magic) so that C and D were about 1gb bigger than the data stored on them. E: is now about 45GB, with 30 being free.

i set the pinnicle off downloading, with scene detection running. When it had finished (150 scenes detected) I started to review the footage. It's aweful. Totally blurry.

I tried another program, same result.

I reloaded a previous image of the system, from before I had the camera, and reloaded all the drivers and software. I get the same results.

I have tried every format of capture offered.

However when the software is not recording the images are fine. If I just play the footage, and watch it on the editing software it's crisp and tidy. As soon as i record it blurs up.

I have a small clip that shows the problem, and a couple of stills captured from it. The best way i can describe it, is that the recorded footage appears to be two frames on screen at once.
    image 1
    image 2
    movie

So to sumarise the footage is perfect. the hardware all works properly when playing video. start recording and it blurs.

the only thing i did was to resize the partitions.

sorry for long post, but it's really doing my head in!

Graham

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    There could be 101 different reasons for the poor quality video. My main suggestion would be to record everything on SP as the quality drop on fast moving images when recording in LP (90 mins to a tape) is very obvious. Obviously this does not help with what you have already recorded, so you may want to try all or some of the following to see if it helps:

Get another HDD just for capture. Don't install any programs on it.
    Make sure that all the drives have DMA enabled
    Make sure that the IDE controller with the HDD(s) on it do not also have any CD/DVD drives connected. If you have a CD & DVD put them both on the seconary IDE controller and your 1 or 2 HDD on the primary.
    Make sure that you HDD is defragmented.
    Stop all background programs such as antivirus and also stop screensavers and power save modes. I stop all the background progs with a free download called 'EndItAll'.

There are so many other things to tweek to get the best out of a PC for NLE. Do a search on this forum as I and many others have given the advise in the past and I know I've not covered everything here.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looks to me like a possible field dominance or interlace problem. Have you tried watching on an interlaced screen such as a TV set? Does it look better?

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've looked at your video and stills, they are not blurred (blurred would mean out of focus). I believe it's simply what KLR10 has already stated. You are watching fast moving material the wildly different fields which a computer monitor cannot correctly show. Interlacing problems...

Make a DVD or watch the video back on a TV through your camera (assuming it has firewire in, and your software allows you to do it)
    You should at least be able to record some of the footage back to the camera on tape then watch that on a TV. Ps you are using Firewire aren't you - not USB on the camera?!

Your partitioning has nothing to do with quality of the picture, and would simply cause dropped frames. Also there is no difference in the quality of SP and LP in a DV recording, but SP uses a smaller track size which can result in more digital dropout (error correction has to work overtime). Its similar to DV versus DVCAM, DVCAM uses the same codec at the same quality and data rate but a wider track so recordings are more robust.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your capture presets? have you set it to PAL as opposed to NTSC, other factor is the capture quality, which can be altered on Pinnacle.

More advanced packages let you set field dominance for capture (i.e whether it is the higher or lower field that is captured first) it could be that the package is taking the lower field first, and as this is actually exposed slightly later than the upper field the cars will be in difference positions on the screen between each field (this artifact only really occurs with very fast moving subjects such as motorsports) so this could also be the problem. If you can get onto a suite such Premiere or Final Cut, you can change the order of capture between the fields, this may solve your problems.

For future use, a camera which supports frame record / progressive scan might help, certianly setting a faster shutter speed if there is enough ambient light (and the camera allows you to change the shutter speed).

6. GJS

GJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, thanks for all the suggestions

lots of things for me to check :thumbsup:
    will reinstall a clean win98 with just drivers, defrag hdd, check dma mode, pal, etc and try new software. i really hope it's something very minor, but can't think what...

will let you know what i find

cheers
    Graham

7. GJS

GJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    enditall seems to have sorted out the problem. i think i had a "nasty" running in the background, as I wasn't even able to instal magix.

completely clean 98 install and enditall and everything id fin

cheers
    Graham

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    EndItAll is one of those programs that very few people would use if you had to pay for it as you would just think you had no need for it, but once you have used it and seen just how much easier it makes life when editing I think many would pay good money (including me) to keep it!

To me its a 'get out of jail free' and yet it is so simple :smashin:

Mark.