Blurred image with LCD tv & VGA cable

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by gargoyle, Feb 5, 2009.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've just cobbled together, a basic mulimedia pc for playing mp3's mpegs and dvd films, it is not intended for hi definition, so specs ar not cutting edge, being based around a pentium 4, 3.0 core.

I've hooked it up to my hannspree jt37 via a 3m vga to vga cable, but find that the resulting picture, whilst watchable, is very soft with very faint ghosting, would changing from a vga-vga, to a vga-hdmi connector or purchasing a high quality cable make any difference?

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    A better quality cable will definitely help. VGA is one of the few connections where the cable makes a real noticeable difference.

The VDC Blue cables are my favourite ones - good quality and not too expensive.

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    A few basic things to try ,

Is the PC outputting at the native resolution of the screen ( 1366 x 768 ) because if its not the picture will suffer , and in pretty much the same way you describe.

What graphics card are you using , and can you adjust for screen size.

A DVI to HDMI cable would be better , theres no VGA to HDMI without some sort of DA converter in between , maybe DVI to HDMI is what you meant.

VGA cables being analog , the quality of the cable does matter , but theres no need to spend too much on one.

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    the computer is outputting at native resolution (1366x768), I've tried twiddling around with both the pcs gfx settings and the tv picture, but to no avail.

My friend, who has a similar pc setup has outstanding picture quality outputting wiith an ati 9600xt (agp) and amd 3400 powered system, mine is powered from a nvidia 2ti (agp), a couple of years old, but no slouch.

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just an update - I built a new media pc last week using the same cable.
    As I was on a budget, I decided to use the motherboards inbuilt graphics card (nvidia 6150), I assumed that on booting up, I'd have the same problem as I was using the same vga cable, but was surprised to find that the new pc suffers no ghosting and has a much sharper, crisper image, this would appear to indicate that a decent graphics card engine can make a difference, it also means I don't have to shell out for expensive cable!:clap: