Bluray v upscaling

davdandy

Standard Member
Reaction score
This may sound odd and strange but i have been looking into getting a Bluray sometime soon.

At the mo i have a Sony upscaling player and chuffed with the picture.

My question is this,how much of an improvement is Bluray over an upscaler,is it worth the extra money in buying one.I realise it is better to go Bluray but wondered just how much better they actually are.

This may sound odd and strange but i have been looking into getting a Bluray sometime soon.

At the mo i have a Sony upscaling player and chuffed with the picture.

My question is this,how much of an improvement is Bluray over an upscaler,is it worth the extra money in buying one.I realise it is better to go Bluray but wondered just how much better they actually are.

As a general rule the bigger the screen and the closer the viewing distance the greater the benefit.

What size is your screen and how far away do you view ?

AVI

Hi Avi

My tv is a Panny 42 inch and i sit about 8 feet or so from the screen.

personally i was of the opinion that they were very similar, then my life was changed i had sky hd installed and the engineer tuned it into one of the other presets on my tv(i had used a home cinema tunning dvd to get the colour etc but had only used it on the dvd player not the bluray player) big improvement, suddenly i can see what the fuss was about.:thumbsup:
So yes there is an improvment. biggest thing though is the audio, if you use a decent amp. that alone can increase the viewing pleasure (probably just phsycalogical but i like it):D

I agree with the above but, Blu-ray will be that bit better than SkyHD programming as, Sky's efforts are horribly compressed.

If you have a well set up panel and Blu-ray player, you'll easily see the difference between it and even the very best upscaled DVD.

Paul

If you have a well set up panel and Blu-ray player, you'll easily see the difference between it and even the very best upscaled DVD.

Paul

...just (IMHO). Good quality Bluray's look "fantastic", but lesser quality ones (sometimes older movies) look just "pretty good". Conversely, for video I've found a few DVDs where the missus thought we were watching a Bluray - they were that good! That's why I'm really just buying new releases on Bluray now - unless perhaps they are re-mastered old movies (can't wait for The Godfather on BD :thumbsup:).
For sound I agree with Razy60, there is quite an improvement with Bluray, especially noticeable when I went back to watching DVDs!!

Ade

Thanks guys.

I was looking at either the Sony S550 or maybe the Panny DMP BD50.Not entirely sure yet.

I wouldn't buy a cheap nasty player but then again i wont buy the most expensive.

Thanks guys.

I was looking at either the Sony S550 or maybe the Panny DMP BD50.Not entirely sure yet.

I wouldn't buy a cheap nasty player but then again i wont buy the most expensive.

Sony 550's looking good :thumbsup: the BD50 is now replaced by the BD55 :cool: which is also looking a nice player.
All the best.

Thanks KingFats.

I see Oppo mentioned quite a lot and to be honest i have never heard of them,are they cheap and cheerful or quality gear.?

Hi Avi

My tv is a Panny 42 inch and i sit about 8 feet or so from the screen.

I have a 37" Panny and sit around 10ft from the screen.

The difference is still noticable although somewhat less than when I was sitting 6ft way.

Definately worth the upgrade though:smashin:

If you're not entirely happy once you pick up your player you might want to think about sitting closer (to make the difference even more noticable) or getting a bigger screen:devil::thumbsup:

Getting a bigger screen is out of the question as i have only just bought the 42 incher a couple of months ago.:rolleyes:

Will definitely consider the upgrade this side of Chrimbo though.

Without a shadow of doubt you will notice the difference, however, why not go into your local AV store and get them to connect up a blu player to your TV model and see a demonstration?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom