Bluray UHD

thedude

Distinguished Member
My bluray player is old now and sometimes doest read discs so I'm starting to look at a new one, as UHD seems to be coming on board slowly I would want to adopt it for the big increase I pretty much know its going to be limited to discs but I'm cool with that.
So what UHD player to get? Anyone seen or tried anything?
I'm a huge panna fan

camelot1971

I think it will be at least the summer before we see UHD players available easily and I don't know if they are backwards compatible with Blu ray or not.

In the meantime it might be worth just getting a decent 2nd hand blu player to tide you over for now?

Edited to add do you have HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 TV and AV receiver? If not, UHD won't work anyway.

thedude

Distinguished Member
Plans to update my TV and ideally looking for a player with two outputs as well like the oppo

camelot1971

Although I love collecting discs (well, steelbooks :D) I personally think streaming will be the future and not media.

Quite a few streaming services in the US already sell UHD content with HD audio (Vudu for example) and I can already watch UHD and HDR content on Netflix and Amazon. The big issue of course is bit rate - it will be interesting if downloadable films will be identical to UHD discs.

I've been quite impressed with HDR programmes on Amazon so far.

Gavtech

Administrator
... and I don't know if they are backwards compatible with Blu ray or not.

All UHD Bluray Players will be backward compatible with Bluray by mandate

camelot1971

thedude

Distinguished Member
Streaming for me just doesn't ever look as good or sound as good as a disc I like the nature of taking it out and putting it in.
I'm all up for UHD just need to make sure its the right one

camelot1971

I've seen poor encoded blu ray and poor encoded streaming. I agree on its nice to have a disc to put in a machine :D

I'm going to guess at least £500 for a player and £30 for a disc at launch though :thumbsdow

thedude

Distinguished Member
£500 is fine I have no issues with that

Viking61

Last edited:

1080 jawbreaker

Although I love collecting discs (well, steelbooks :D) I personally think streaming will be the future and not media.

Quite a few streaming services in the US already sell UHD content with HD audio (Vudu for example) and I can already watch UHD and HDR content on Netflix and Amazon. The big issue of course is bit rate - it will be interesting if downloadable films will be identical to UHD discs.

I've been quite impressed with HDR programmes on Amazon so far.
it funny VUDU uhd as it is all upscaled bar 1 title but if the consumer cant tell the difference theres no need to change.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
I am also getting excited about news on 4K blu-ray which i am hoping will be announced soon, make of that at your will.

thedude

Distinguished Member
well im lost on that last comment, do you have some insider information?

Viking61

Samsung UBD-K8500 is now available to preorder in America for $399.99. Not too bad pricing in my opinion.

The player also has 2 HDMI outs (one for audio only), as opposed to only 1 HDMI out on the prototype shown at IFA 2015 in Berlin.

Attachments

• UBD-K8500 back.jpg
    UBD-K8500 back.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

thedude

Distinguished Member
see thats the type of news i wanted, keep them separate make it easy for me.
not a bad price either

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Just came looking for news on 4k players...

The Panny is of interest if my TV gets the rumored HDR firmware upgrade. Mind you, would that be a waste of cash on a non-calibrated TV??

Last edited:

thedude

Distinguished Member
Right that's the Panasonic one for me looks so sexy. Looks like dual HDMi seems standard

jamesjoc

Dual HDMI output will probably save my marriage lol. She knows that the UHD player is next on the list after the 65TX700 purchase in August. My old panny BR Player is skipping most discs now so using the PS3 as the player. I'm not sure that she'd understand the need for a new amp already (3 years). I'll give it a year or so before I hit the atmos amp set up.

My project this year is to re-do the false wall as it was done with my old 50" plasma on it. Quite a bit of overhang now that the new set has replaced. As part of this, I'm going to place a couple of high speakers to either use for atmos or front high. Worst case scenario is I get some up-firing speakers should the atmos not really work using them

Hixs

Distinguished Member
1000 euro for the Panny.

I'm on that! Let's just hope it's worth it....:D

Having browsed various French sites for some form of confirmation, the release date seems optimistic. They're all just saying release 2016, and some braver ones Spring 2016.

Edit - Missed the bit about the Samsung being released in March! doh I was looking for the Panny dates.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC