Bluray to Projector and Amp

Toots68

Novice Member
Reaction score
SONY BLURAY/TV BOX TO PROJECTOR AND AMP
Good morning. Hope you are well. After some knowledgeable advice please.

Bought a yellow, supposedly digital, coaxial cable to link my bluray player to the amp, whilst I'm playing content through my projector, as the player only has the yellow output and no red and white (L and R) audio out. The cable works fine if I play CD's and stream content but makes a horrible buzzing noise if I try to output video from a DVD. I thought bluray players played dvd's? Or ani am I mistaken? Or have I been sent the wrong cable? I also bought an adaptor to connect up the yellow coaxial with the red and white audio cables. This adaptor also came with an optical cable. I've tried using this too (both on its own and with the yellow coaxial) but doesn't make any difference. Can anyone advise please? Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you.
Amanda.

Welcome to the forums. What model bluray and amp is it?

Your co-axial cable is to create a digital audio connection between your blu-ray player and your amp or receiver. It connects the 'Digital Out' to your amp. The picture below is from my Sony S380 blu-ray player, so in your case you connect No.6 to a 'digital coaxial input' or similar on your amp. This connector is often orange in the middle.

upload_2018-3-20_0-38-26.png

You will need to set the amp to a mode that accepts digital input to hear the audio from the digital signal. For example you should be able to get 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound or 5.1 DTS surround sound from your blu-ray player - provided you have those speakers attached to your amp of course.

Don't connect the digital coaxial cable directly to a normal analogue input (red/white usually) on your amp, or you will hear 'noise', or nothing at all.

In addition, you will need to get the video signal from your blu-ray player to your projector. You can do this using HDMI Out, or Component Video Out, or even 'Video'. Your blu-ray player may not have all of those connectors but if it has HDMI, use that as it's usually best for quality.

Hope that helps. If you can tell us the model of the blu-ray player, the amp and the projector it will be easier to help if you're stuck.

Hi Lee. Thanks for that. I've done all that. Thing is I had to use an adaptor which has red and white on one side and a coaxial yellow and spdif optical on the other (I'm sure you've seen them online). Trouble is my amp is maybe too old as it doesn't have any digital or coaxial audio inputs. Is this maybe why the DVD won't work do you think? I thought that was what the adaptor was meant to do though - convert the digital signal to analogue. I've got the hdmi connected to the projector which is fine. Any ideas what the problem might be? The bluray player is a Sony BDP-S4100, my old amp is a Pioneer A-115 and the projector is an Excelvan LED projector. Thanks for your help. Amanda.

Thing is I had to use an adaptor which has red and white on one side and a coaxial yellow and spdif optical on the other (I'm sure you've seen them online)
Like this one?...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074NVTBT6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

In the audio settings on your bluray player you could try, if you haven't already, setting the Downmix to stereo and see if that works. If it doesn't work then change the Digital Audio Output to PCM and try that.

(For anyone else who can offer better advice...the Sony manual is here and the amp is a stereo amp.)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes Lee that's the thing I bought. I'm presuming it works because it processes the audio from the player. I will try what you've said. I'll let you know if it works - or not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom