Bluray Sound- PS3 vs A Blu ray Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mklock, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mklock

mklock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have been searching the web and speaking to a lot of people about the sound quality of the PS3 for Blu Ray Audio and i do not seem to be any furthe forward so i thoiught id take a stab on here.

I have a Sony DG820 AV reciever and KEF 2005 speakers. One of the things i have never been completely satisfied with is the sound.

Mostly voices volume, but i see on here many people have this same annoyance . Yes i have played with every setup option.

At first i thought it was the speakers.
    I originally had Tannoy FX5.1 speakers and upgraded them to the KEFs which didn't sound that different really.

So i then was focused on changing my Receiver purely because i didn't go to the top of my budget with it. But too be honest the receiver is great and didnt really want to.

Before committing to this however , i spoke to a number of other PS3 owners and quite a few say the same thing about the sound. I actually perceived this as good news and have been thinking that buying a good Blu ray player will improve the sound quality. Thinking that the stand alone units would have a better sound processor?

As with anything like this i have been trying to get an educated answer to this rather than the usual guess work.

Will a standalone player be better for sound quality?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    Audio is very unlikely to vary if you use a different BD player, especially if using HDMI output. Your issue is still the speakers or a combination of them with the amp. You may think you upgraded from the Tannoy FX to the KEF eggs, but both are basically what are termed as lifestyle speakers and are both compromised by their size.

The STRDG820 is a fine amp for what it cost, but still what would be considered entry level. Sony amps also tend to veer towards the clinical and are less musical than some.

Basically no, you'd not get better audio via a different standalone BD player, not unless spending a small fortune on one with analogue outputs and connecting it to an amp that can accept multichannel analogue inputs, something your Sony cannot facilitate.

I'd once again look at the speakers if wanting to improve upon what you've already got. Look at more conventionally sized speakers that are targetted more towards the music listener than home theatre users.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    as dante01 says, no, been there, spent much much more on a blu deck than my ps3, turns out, the dedicated blu ray player/s are great for other features, but if its an audio upgrade you seek, you will be disappointed. this is assuming audio via hdmi.

room and positioning and amplifier features relating to levels/drc will aid you much more.

4. darron027

darron027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Also note that its often the actual soundtrack recording on the bluray/dvd. Some are known to have lower dialogue volume compared to other 'effects'.
    A 'better' centre channel OR/and better speaker positioning also could help.
    I used to own a pretty expensive 7.1 system and although 'better' than I previously had I still did note that on a few movies the dialogue was still 'low'. I got round this my increasing the volume of the Centre channel in my av preamp settings.
    Another thing to try out is (if poss) turn off the centre channel and listen through the the F/L and F/R speakers. This sometimes improves the dialogue as the two fronts are now sharing the dialogue. Hope that makes sense.

5. harveydog01

harveydog01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently upgraded my blu ray player from a Philips BDP3000 to a Panasonic DMP-BDT120, and while I thought the Philips was a fine player in all departments, once I connected the Panasonic the difference was immediately apparent with surround sound sounding spacious, clear and solid wheras the philips sound was what could be described as 'muddy' by comparison. The centre channel was a lot more clearly defined as well, so there is a difference that must be dependent on the internal processors of the blu ray player, and that you DON'T have to spend a fortune to get good sound quality :D

6. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    You may wish to double-check the audio settings.
    Assuming your AVR can decode the HDAudio formats, and your player is bitstreaming properly, it can't make any difference what player is funnelling the bits down the HDMI cable. However, different players may have different out of the box settings, so if one defaulted to downmix everything to stereo, and the other defaulted to bitstream...
    AVR probably has a way to show some detail about the input format (perhaps press display or info button); see what audio format it thinks it's getting...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    Even if you do spend a small fortune, there still will be little if any difference between the audio if using HDMI. The only issue that may be prevalent is that of jitter, but the blind tests that have been carried out in relation to this show that even large degrees of jitter are unlikely to be perceivable.

If you are perceiving an improvement then good for you ;) but there's no reason why the two players should be any different in terms of their audio abilities if using HDMI.

8. harveydog01

harveydog01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I understand the whole HDMI thing, its a digital cable and it will either work or it wont, but as an example, I was testing out the new player, and put on the start of Apocalypse Now where the helicopter sound is panning around the room, and this time the dog started barking as the sound moved around, something its not done before:rotfl:

I know its not very scientific, but its a fact!!

9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    For reference, Meridian typically use a PS3 in their blu-ray based demonstrations (or at least used to do). I'd be surprised at them using a PS3 if they thought it was a second rate transport.