• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bluray player with USB socket for Divx films?

loziv

Standard Member
Hi

I am looking to purchase a Bluray player, but are there any models on the market that feature a USB socket that will also allow me to view DivX and MPG4 movies via a USB memory stick?

TIA

PhilPR

Shipping from today is the LG BD390 at around £170. Check out the thread above, I suspect it will do all you want from a Blu Ray player/media centre! :)

loziv

Standard Member
Thanks

So the only BluRay player currently on the market that has USB and the ability to play Divx films via a USB stick is the LG BD390 ?

is this correct, and what retailers are selling it for £170?

Also how does the quality of its Bluray picture and sound etc and the overall product rate against the likes of the Sony, Panny bluray players?

Any other recommendations?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Thanks

So the only BluRay player currently on the market that has USB and the ability to play Divx films via a USB stick is the LG BD390 ?

is this correct, and what retailers are selling it for £170?

Also how does the quality of its Bluray picture and sound etc and the overall product rate against the likes of the Sony, Panny bluray players?

Any other recommendations?

The LG BD370, Ps3, Oppo BDP-83/831 :)

loziv

Standard Member
Thanks

So the LG BD 370 and the Panny BD-60 and BD-80 all offer a USB slot so I could warch Divx movies via a USB memory stick if I wanted to?

loziv

Standard Member
Thanks

So the LG BD 370 and the Panny BD-60 and BD-80 all offer a USB slot so I could watch Divx movies via a USB memory stick if I wanted to?

Also what about the Samsung BD-P4600 ? I think I read it plays back HD Divx movies?

Which is the best player out of all of the above?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Thanks

So the LG BD 370 and the Panny BD-60 and BD-80 all offer a USB slot so I could watch Divx movies via a USB memory stick if I wanted to?

Also what about the Samsung BD-P4600 ? I think I read it plays back HD Divx movies?

Which is the best player out of all of the above?

So do the LG (both), I could not recommend any Samsung BD player... They look nice, PQ is decent, but they're all flimsy and bug ridden

petet66

Why buy an expensive TV and Blu Ray player to play Divx quality movies?

loziv

Standard Member
So do the LG (both), I could not recommend any Samsung BD player... They look nice, PQ is decent, but they're all flimsy and bug ridden

So both the LG BD370 and the LG BD 390 both allow you to watch HD divx movies from a USB dongle/memory stick via the blue ray players USB slot?

What does the BD 390 offer over the BD370 is it just WIFI? or is the picture and sound quality better than the BD70?

awink1

Distinguished Member
So both the LG BD370 and the LG BD 390 both allow you to watch HD divx movies from a USB dongle/memory stick via the blue ray players USB slot?

What does the BD 390 offer over the BD370 is it just WIFI? or is the picture and sound quality better than the BD70?

The 390 also offers DNLA media streaming, so you wouldn't even have to use the USB port as it could access the files directly from your computer ;)

But serioulsy, start getting MKV files and you'll be dropping your jaw, so much better is the quality over Divx

loziv

Standard Member
Hi All

Thanks for all your advice, I went for the BD 370 which is great !

However I have just purchased a HP SimpleSave 320GB portable USB hard disk drive to store Divx films, Movies and pictures on.

However when connecting the HP SimpleSave to either a XBox 360 or a Blu Ray player via USB to watch a Divx movie it does not work, and does't allow me to watch videos from it?

Any ideas - would I be better getting another portable hard disk drive as perhaps the HP SimpleSave drive is not compatible with Blu Ray or Xbox 360 players? and I dont really want to format the disk to FAT32

TIA

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom