Bluray player with scart output

Cocksure

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can still buy a bluray player that has a scart output?

It's for my folks who refuse to give up the CRT telly, but would like to be able to play my bluray disc's.

I'm betting no, but you never know :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I think you may run into issues with blu-ray which is mainly 24Hz (24 fps). When you connect to a HD TV that isn't 24Hz capable the HDCP handshake tells the blu-ray to scale to 6oHz. This clearly won't work over a analogue link. Don't be surprised if you get audio but no pictures. It's likely the TV will only synch to 50Hz content.

I think you may run into issues with blu-ray which is mainly 24Hz (24 fps). When you connect to a HD TV that isn't 24Hz capable the HDCP handshake tells the blu-ray to scale to 6oHz. This clearly won't work over a analogue link. Don't be surprised if you get audio but no pictures. It's likely the TV will only synch to 50Hz content.
Depends on the Telly my old JVC analogue was 50/60hrz on scart and my late Father-in law's 29" Blaupunkt was the same.

Thanks for the replies :)

I remember when they 1st came out that they were CRT compatible, but figured that had been dropped long since.

Seems that the likely answer is no good then as I had forgotten about the hdcp issue

Depends on the Telly my old JVC analogue was 50/60hrz on scart and my late Father-in law's 29" Blaupunkt was the same.

50/60Hz isn't the issue, many CRT's will play PAL and NTSC content using scart. Never saw one that was capable of 24Hz. Unless the blu-ray has a menu option to select 60Hz conversion it may not work. As the OP has a blu-ray player he could check for this option.

Thanks for the replies :)

I remember when they 1st came out that they were CRT compatible, but figured that had been dropped long since.

Seems that the likely answer is no good then as I had forgotten about the hdcp issue

The adaptor should handle the HDCP handshake, the likely issue is forcing the blu-ray player to output a signal that is PAL or NTSC refresh rate compatible.

The adaptors are very good. I have one which works the other way for my laserdisc - Scart from laserdisc to adaptor with HDMI then to the TV. It has a switch on the adaptor to select a PAL or NTSC signal and outputs accordingly. It's a surprisingly good piece of kit.

The adaptor should handle the HDCP handshake, the likely issue is forcing the blu-ray player to output a signal that is PAL or NTSC refresh rate compatible.
Thats, not an issue as it my old Sony Trinitron tv from the mid 90's (they dont make them like that anymore :love:)

I'm 99% sure it can take a NTSC signal at 60hz or even Pal at 60hz (pretty sure i use to output my N64/PS1 at 60hz)

Will take a look at adapters now :clap:

As the OP has a blu-ray player he could check for this option.
Alas i don't, all my watching is done on a PC. But i will start reading manuals of players to check that function 1st

Thats, not an issue as it my old Sony Trinitron tv from the mid 90's (they dont make them like that anymore :love:)

I'm 99% sure it can take a NTSC signal at 60hz or even Pal at 60hz (pretty sure i use to output my N64/PS1 at 60hz)

Will take a look at adapters now :clap:

But can you force your blu-ray player to output 60Hz when playing a blu-ray ? Blu-ray is nearly always 1080p24.

1080p24 is the highest frame rate the blu-ray spec allows for full HD content. To get 50/60 frames/second you have to reduce the resolution to 1280 x 720 (720p50/60).

@grahamlthompson In all honesty i dont know, you can on a PC and i would think finding a player with that option shouldnt be too hard. However its the 720p/1080p in to 480/576i out that concerns me now. Upscaling sure, but i need an adapter that downscales and converts to interlaced.

Edit
@mckee74 link takes care of that, i just need to read the manual of different players before i buy one to check the output options

Last edited:
That was easy, 1st Samsung player i looked at has a 1080p 60 hz output option (bd-j4500)

Thanks folks, pretty sure i'm all sorted now and that i can introduce my folks to bluray in a fashion after all. :clap:

That was easy, 1st Samsung player i looked at has a 1080p 60 hz output option (bd-j4500)

Thanks folks, pretty sure i'm all sorted now and that i can introduce my folks to bluray in a fashion after all. :clap:
Why do they have such love for the CRT?

Why do they have such love for the CRT?
Decent speakers and vhs tapes look good (compared to how they look on a modern tv anyhow).

I know you can add soundbars now, but that just adds a layer they don't want. Turn on and press play is all they want, as simple as possible

Your Answer PS3, I have a 60hz Widescreen CRT TV, I watch blu rays on there, I know people will wanna fight about this but HD, Is a scam, The HDTV is designed to make SD images look terrible, my CRT Wide look no different to my friends 4K Ultra HDTV, Except SD Channels look absolutely awful on my friends and HD and SD Channels look really good on mine, plus my friends colour on her TV Seems to be broken it looks too low and unnatural. But PS3 convert the signal without the need for converters, I have a PS3 80GB O mostly use it for Blu Rays

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom