1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BluRay Is Coming By 2005

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Article on the (truely awful) CD Freaks website, taken from the Berlin IFA conference, has JVC, Samsung and Sony reveal new BluRay recorders. Whilst the article says there aren't any plans for a launch in Europe yet such a market is envisaged by 2005! Full article:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7854

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    And no doubt by then,the various manufacturers,software companies and vendors will have been able to resolve the following:
    Copy protection issues
    DVD-A and SACD direct digital interfaces
    The regional coding fiasco
    DVD+/- RW (in)compatability

All before foisting yet another format and it's associated media on the public.....I think not somehow,but I'm sure they'll launch it anyway.

3. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Add wide availablility of HDTV in Europe to that list Alexs2.
    It's a tad pointless having a recorder designed for HDTV and no channels to record!

Also I can't see too many people wanting to replace their DVD collections for blu-ray versions (besides the hardcore enthusiasts who inhabit this forum, of course! :rotfl: )

Agreed - they probabaly will unleash it nonetheless, and we'll all be jostling to be the first on the block to own one!

Owen

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think I'll probably wait for the dust to settle first,and see what's left after that!...some of us remember the VCR format wars,and stereo vs quad shambles!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    BluRay will be a godsend. Regardless of how good DVD recorders are 4.7GB is woefully inadequate. 23GB will provide around 5 hours recording per disk in top quality mode - which is perfect.

BluRay will be backwards compatible with DVD-RW/-R/-RAM/-Video/-Audio/-ROM as well as CD-RW/-R so will mean there will be no need for mass replacements.

It's unlikely we'll see BluRay releases as common as DVDs - but they will probably be released for select titles - in a similar manner to Superbit titles now - they will be capable of offering bitrates upto 26MBits/S and multiple soundtracks (DD/DTS). I certainly will be replacing many of my DVDs with BRs when they become available!

The first ones mine :D

Not being funny alexs2 but most of the points you raise have surely been 'sorted' more-or-less:

IMHO it's perfect reasonable to protect content provided it doesn't interfere with use. And there are ways around every sort of copy protection if you know where to look.

In all honestly it's not a fiasco is it? We can all get around it so how's it a problem? If it keeps the studios relatively happy surely this is a good compromise?

Now this is improving all the time. What with multi-format drives, new DVD recorders being multi-format compatible etc.

I'm not a music fan (not of DVD-A quality anyway) so could be completely wrong on this one but surely DVD-Audio output is via the digital out on your DVD player to relevant receiver? What's wrong with that? And isn't DVD-Audio dominating over SACD now (meaning the latter isn't an issue)?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A lot of what you say is absolutely right,and certainly 4.7Gb is small fry in storage terms these days,so an increase there would be very welcome.

Moving on to your point about backwards compatibility....if it does indeed work as promised that will be wonderful...I,for one though,will wait and see when the first examples are fully reviewed.

Content/copy protection is perfectly reasonable,and I do support this fully,but do not agree that the legitimate user/buyer of the disc should be prevented from making one back-up copy of his/her purchase,and also find some of the current CD protection schemes that prevent you from using your CD's on a PC utterly infuriating.

Your final point about DVD-A and SACD digital output being available via the digital out on the DVD player is incorrect....most DVD-A's have a Dolby Digital or DTS encoding of the material on the disc,and this will be output via the digital out....the high resolution audio tracks however are not.
    These are encrypted and either decoded onboard and output via the analogue stages on the player,or via encrypted digital links(Meridian MHR or i-link)to appropriate proprietary interfaces on the same manufacturers machines.

As for DVD-A dominating SACD....not at present,although the DVD-A consortium is re-launching DVD-A in an attempt to make ground on SACD.

Sorry for the heavy helping of cynicism,but I'd prefer to wait and see it all settle down,and a working,backwardly compatible blu-ray recorder/drive on demonstration before I buy.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Oh I see. As I say I'm not a big HQ music fan so am not really 'up' on these issues.

Thats fair enough. Knowing me I'll end up buying about 3 different recorders before I get one I'm really happy with :D And THEN the price will plummet.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    In the end it's Joe Public who'll decide whether it's a success or not and NOT HC enthusiats like us on this forum...unfortunatley.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The same news article but on a decent site:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4085

Perhaps. But that said the Home Cinema market is large enough to make a product successful. For instance you could argue 42" plasmas or Home Cinema projectors are successful due to the HC market. BluRay could well be the same. And of course BR has extensive PC based applications. I would suggest it's Joe public who determine which format becomes a 'standard'.