bluray/hddvd will only work with hdmi/dvi sets

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by oxygenuk, Mar 8, 2006.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    more kinda proof that this new hi-def technology wont hit the mainstream market, i either predict a long wait till it hits mainstream like maybe 5 yeasrs or a new format will come that we can all adapt to, e.g. vhs to dvd :)

http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691408p1.html < 2 page article

2. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Guess the PS3 will be the first Playstation to fail, I sort of guessed it might, first the pricing (Sony would either have to loose money by underpricing or cut out most of it's audience with high prices), now this debacle.

I wonder where this leaves the proposed HD-DVD Drive for the X-Box 360?

3. Jaymzee

Jaymzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

They will charge us.. X amount for the HD-DVD Drive, and charge us another £20+ for the Xbox360 HDMI Cable.. At a guess??

4. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Unless your TV doesn't support HDMI, in which case most wouldn't bother with the drive!

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    How can you say that the PS3 will fail simply because it needs HDMI?
    It does mean that less people will have access to it, but those people will end up buying a TV with HDMI eventually.

Lets face it, if you dont care about Blu Ray or Hi def graphics then why would you buy a PS3 to begin with? Isnt the PS2 more than good enough?

It may after all be possible to play hi def games through component like the 360 and just need the HDMI cable to watch Blu Ray movies.

6. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Interesting article - thanks for confirming what we all suspected.
    Big movie studios showing no respect to the millions of people who pay their wages, whatever next? You'll tell me they'll be trying to cash in on getting people to re-buy all the films they already own (surely not) as well as a new home-cinema!
    Am I the only person who isn't that excited about next-gen DVD. SkyHD looks likely to be a huge step up from standard def TV, but from what I've seen so far I don't think next-gen DVD is a comparable jump from exisiting DVD. Anyone else agree?

7. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The majority of PS2 owners will be considering buying the PS3 for the same reason they were excited about buying the PS2, it's a new gen games console that offers better graphics etc.

The problem is that Sony will have to compete with the XBox 360 and that means pricing it lower than Blu Ray players, so they could be making a big loss on the PS3. If they price it in line with Blu Ray players then they could also be pricing themselves out of the market. It is expected the will go for the first option as Sony want to establish Blu Ray as the next gen DVD format, however, if PS3 owners require HDMI to view movies then that's one selling point out of the window.

The PS2 isn't more than good enough it's 2 generations back from the XBox 360 (it's of the same generation as the Dreamcast).

This could be true, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Anyone buying a TV now in anticipation of Sky HiDef will get a TV with either a DVI (with HDCP) or HDMI socket anyway, so what's the problem?

Regards

Mark

9. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think the problem is twofold- either you have an older plasma/lcd/pj with no HDMI or you have a newer one with only one HDMI socket.
    SkyHD 'requires' HDMI and next gen DVD does too, as it says in the article there are no amps out on the market which will support the HDCP copy protection/encryption so how can you fit them all into one socket. HDMI switching (as far as I know) is not that cheap or readily available. Like I said before I don't think the DVD jump is going to be substantial enough to get non high-spec types to switch ESPECIALLY with the looming format war.

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    HDMI 2, 4, or even 8 to 1 are available, though not that cheap - well over a ton for just the 2 to 1, which I agree is daylight robbery. Though in the great scheme of things not a lot compared to the cost of the TV or HiDef box you'd have already shelled out for. Oh and the new range of both Tosh and Sony TVs come with two HDMI sockets. No doubt all the other makes will follow suit.

What is more frustrating is the complete absence of any genuine 1 to 2 HDMI switch boxes for those of us with both a TV and a projector that want to switch (not just split) HDMI outputs.

Regards

Mark

11. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Not necessarily, Sky HD will have component I believe.

12. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    True, but any TV sold with the 'HiDef' ready official logo will have HDMI or DVI (HDCP) inputs to be able to use the logo. And though Sky has relented and fitted the first run STBs with component, they acknowledge that there is no guarantee that anyone will actually use the component outs (including Sky themselves), and may well be forced to not use them depending on the agreements they have with the programme suppliers.

Regards

Mark

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I know they aren't exactly cheap, but don't Arcam, Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha all sell AV Receivers (Ok, the Arcam is a processor) with HDMI switching? And isn't HDCP part of the HDMI spec?