BluRay Disks Are Here!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    I see BluRay disks are starting to become available:

All we need now is a UK recorder to make use of them. Regardless of whether HD comes to the UK anywhen soon BluRay will be a major asset - just using half of the maximium bitrate will provide THREE hours of XP level quality and still allow sufficient space for Dolby Digital soundtrack to be recorded as well.

Still a couple of years away yet but it IS coming...

2. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Slobber, drool......:zonked:

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering,
    What would high defination+Res video be like on a low(ish) panny 4 series?
    Ie..would the picture seem stretched or have huge borders?
    Or would you just have to fit an extraction fan above your plasma as there would be so much converting going on :laugh:

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    If the discs are available now,then surely the recorders are.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Only one - in Japan - and that isn't fully BluRay compatible in that it only supports BR-Re and not BR-R, BR-ROM or BR-Video. None of the companies have plans to release one here (UK) yet.

Now the three of the four standards have been set (there is still to be a decision on BR-ROM) we may start to see BR ready DVD Players. However when you look how long it's taken for VR Mode to be included in DVD Players (and even now it's largely only Pioneer and Panasonic players) I wouldn't hold your breath.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Blue ray...... Can we have high def first so we can actually use it.
    There are no plans for high def over here I have heard there is no chance of us getting it in the foreseable future.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Thats a fairly limited view. It's a bit much to expect the entire broadcasting standards to be re-written BEFORE getting a decent technology like BluRay.

BluRay-Video will bring High Definition DVDs. Select titles (probably the same ones that get selected for Superbit) will be released with bitrates upto 36Mbps as well as having capacity for a large selection of extras. This will be of major interest to plasma and projector owners. There is also the additional benefits of having loads of space for Dolby Digital and DTS tracks.

BluRay-ROM will bring the home network solution that much closer - a BluRay disk will be able to hold an entire music collection in .mp3 and .wma file formats which, given HighMAT, you'll be able to play in your DVD player and, as the technology becomes standard, network around the house.

BluRay-Recordable and ReRecordable will offer high capacity removeable storage for both PCs and DVD Recorders. There is no dispute that XP recording quality on, for instance, the Panasonic range of DVD Recorders is virtually a carbon copy of what it's recording - well imagine being able to fit OVER FOUR HOURS in that quality and still have space to record the soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5:1.

These are all key advantages that could be got brought by BluRay long before High Def TV makes an appearance here.

It will be a couple of years before the BluRay Recorders start to become available here (Sony, JVC, Pioneer and Panasonic have all said they intend to concentrate on normal capacity DVD Recorders for the time being) but we WILL see them within the next couple of years. Hopefully, provided Toshiba joins the club, it will mean a unified recording format as well.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hmmm extra footage on Dvds (Which I dont watch) and thousands of MP3 tracks (Which I wont use at once).

What a great excuse for replacing my dvd collection. I cant wait.

Seriously though we cant stand in the face of technology. Im all for increased quality for the films as long as we see it across the board which I doubt after seing some of the poor DVD transfers around.

It sucks a bit though that US & Japs get Hi Def and we dont and probably never will because people are happy to read like robots from the manufacturers press about how great Bluray is but by the way you dont get the killer technology it was developed for.

You should get a job with Sony. We can all read from their crib sheet.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    But we WILL get the technology it was designed for (High Def) - it may not be transmitted but you'll get High Def DVDs which will be absoletely stunning - look at how good some of the Superbits are and imagine double the quality.

Well actually you can't as their BR machine is only a 'stop gap' measure until they release a machine supporting all BR types. Besides I think alot of people here are quite interested in BluRay and welcome news on it. If your not interested then don't read the post!

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the blue ray standard nailed to 405nm???

ad

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    As far as I'm aware yes. The Sony varieties on BluRay use 405nm as have the Ultra Density Opitical products from Plasmon (BluRay offshoot). While neither of these fully comply to the entire, yet to be announced, BluRay standard it is very likely they will bear a close resemblance to the final product.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok...... i have to say i would still be very careful to get into things yet....... development in this area is incredibly rapid and i reckon there is a revolutionary leap to come within about 5 years

Ad

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Indeed - as always.

14. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i love every aspect of new technology, reading, talking etc. i dont grasp most of the lingo (dont know a nano from google-must be my age).
    but imho,
    blue ray will live or die on 2 counts,
    1--will it be compatable with what will be under our tv sets on release.
    2--will the movie industry support it.

this dosnt take into account prices for content, be it hi-def or jam-packed, which would at least double the price of prerecorded discs.
    are we willing to pay upwards of £30-£40 per disc?.
    hi-def, i was under the impression the average human eye cant differenciate beyound 1100 lines, and with the usa only having 525 then thats why they are chasing it more robustly than uk.
    by the time mass dvd recording (under tv) probably in 12-18 months occurs then blue ray may stay on the streets of japan along with their stereo veiw tv system.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    The eye's resolving power is limited in terms of the angle at the eye between the edges of an object. So the above statement cannot possibly mean anything unless you specify how big the screen is and how far away it is.

As far as I can remember, the eye has a resolving power of something like 0.5 minutes of arc (0.083 degrees). For a 32" 16:9 TV screen ten feet away that would give you a vertical resolution of about 900 lines. But if we assume a 50" screen 6 feet away then we need 2340 lines.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    There is much faith being put in BR as the savour here, I wonder just how compatible other manufacturers BR products will be with Sony. Yes it sounds great but without HD transmissions here in the UK, proper 'standards' and other products this is no more than a news item.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    and why not use D Theater?

18. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't D thearter a tape?
    I doubt you'd convince the average joe that going back to tape was a step up in quality!

19. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D-Theater has great capabilities but that cleaning the heads all the time kills the wish to have it. And 1080i was not the best choice IMHO, especially because deinterlacing of 1080i is still in the petticoat.
    My dealer has two JVC decks and he hates'em. Still, picture on his SIM2 rear projector TV is astonishing.

But "Tape", there must be some other way, disk or so. That's why blue ray or anything that comes after!

20. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ok speaking as a complete n00b when it comes to BluRay, but what does this mean for standard DVD's?

It took many many years for VHS to be replaced, DVD seemed to be in the right place at the right time and was hailed as the future of home cinema. And only recently did we have the first case of a DVD outselling a VHS (was it The Borne Identity or something like that?)

Indeed while I would never buy a VHS film (what was the point of owning a bad quality transfer that would just degrade), but I have built up quite a collection of DVD's with the view that they would last.

Now are we saying they want to change the format again? Does this mean DVD's with dry up like VHS has? How many years away is that? Some people haven't even got a DVD player yet, if you start replacing the format already they will take the "fly-by-night fads always changing I'll stick with VHS" approach.

21. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    To me the increase in capacity from the 4.7Gb of home DVD recorders to the 20-30Gb of Blu-Ray will be of great benefit in itself - irrespective of whether we ever get HD broadcasts or HD pre-recorded DVDs.

I have been looking to get a DVD recorder but don't want to give up the PVR benefits of my existing Sky+/Tivo. I now could not live without the ability to play and record simultaneously, not having to worry about changing media and simple recording based on programme names rather than time of broadcast. (On the other hand I want my PVR to create permanent backups.)

Some of these facilities are becoming available in DVD recorders e.g. chasing playback on DVD-RAM and Philips Gem+ TV guide. however, with a recording time limited to 2hrs (at decent 2Gb an hour level) on DVD, these facilities are of limitied use to me. I think that you need at leaast 10 hours of capacity at this quality to make them worth while and BluRay should provide this.

I also think that moving to a unified standard will help allay fears that some people have about the current DVD-RAM/+RW/-RW format war. If BluRay recorders will play existing DVDs as well I would think that there would be much less resistance to the new format.

22. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If we are saying Blu-Ray is the replacement recordable format then fine, I'm all for it. I just don't want them replacing DVD's and leaving me with a redundant movie collection!

Likewise I don't want Movie Houses releasing new films on Blu-Ray any time soon, if we are talking about Blu-Ray as a complimentary optional format for recording purposes then fine.

Either way it sounds expensive! I assume (read: hope) that Blu-Ray is a long time away anyway, surely they would want DVD's to become the standard first?

It must get expensive to start producing the same thing on three formats? In the UK digital TV has been around for 5 minutes and already the Government want to "turn-off" the analogue signal as early as 2010. When will they turn round and say movies will no longer be available pre-recorded on VHS?

23. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0