Bluray Disc vs MKV

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been watching mkv encodes of blurays and was wondering in terms of PQ, is there much difference or is it difficult to spot the difference between a bluray disc and a mkv encoded at either 720P or 1080P?

I have been pleased with the PQ on mkv so just wanted to see if the actual bluray disc is visibly superior in picture quality?

Any views?

yes the discs are superior but you would be hard pushed to tell the difference on say a 32" with a really well encoded 1080p mkv
if u check even between source rips and encodes there can be vast differences between the rips all down to who and how it was done
also with the mkv's you lose the HD sound so that is a major factor for the majority:thumbsdow

What sort of GB limit is there on an MKV ? For example, the recently released Manhunter Blu-Ray disc is 50GB (admittedly very high). Can an MKV rip match that disc space ?

MKV is just a container like AVI so the format of the video and audio can change inside it. Video is usually H264 though, sound can be standard stereo all the way up to to PCM/Lossless for the really big files. Whether the person can listen to lossless depends on the equipment used.

Blu Ray has a 46.6GB limit.

Last edited:
Sounds like blatant piracy to me :thumbsdow

The comedy alt account that is Zenza, continues to entertain.

I will say this, though. While the BD will always be superior over a compressed MKV, animation compresses ridiculously well, some so well that I was almost disappointed when I bought Kung Fu Panda and the difference was miniscule on the particular screen size I was using back then.

As a format that is most definitely untrue.

Yes it is. The 50GB loses the space just like with DVD's and HDD's. BD 25GB turns into 23.3GB.

The biggest sized Blu Rays I have are all the three Pirates of the Carribeans which take up 46.6GB or 50,050,629,632 bytes (where the 50GB comes in).

Single-layer Blu-Ray disks currently store 23.3GB of data, which dual-layer Blu-Ray disks are able to store 46.6GB of data.

http://www.tech-faq.com/blu-ray.shtml

Last edited:
What sort of GB limit is there on an MKV ? For example, the recently released Manhunter Blu-Ray disc is 50GB (admittedly very high). Can an MKV rip match that disc space ?

Typically a 1080P mkv can be anywhere between 8GB and 16GB in size.

And the scum continues to talk crap.

To be fair if you ask questions blatently about formats used in piracy then don't get shirty when you get verbal abuse about it simple as that.

I'm not aware of any legal way to get MKV's, of course please feel free to correct me.

To be fair if you ask questions blatently about formats used in piracy then don't get shirty when you get verbal abuse about it simple as that.

I'm not aware of any legal way to get MKV's, of course please feel free to correct me.

So all the people that have been watching Star Trek, Transformers, and all the other new releases are watching the blurays?:nono::rolleyes:

If you think people on here don't download mkv and dvds then you're wrong.

So all the people that have been watching Star Trek, Transformers, and all the other new releases are watching the blurays?:nono::rolleyes:

Given discussion of pirated/illegally downloaded content is forbidden at AVForums, if members are engaged in such activities they are certainly not dumb enough to post about it.:suicide:

Given discussion of pirated/illegally downloaded content is forbidden at AVForums, if members are engaged in such activities they are certainly not dumb enough to post about it.:suicide:

yet there are tons of posts on these forums that are so blatantly obvious that the poster has been watching downloaded content.

yet there are tons of posts on these forums that are so blatantly obvious that the poster has been watching downloaded content.

The keywords in my post are pirated and illegally. Members have no issue with legally downloaded content.:smashin:

The keywords in my post are pirated and illegally. Members have no issue with legally downloaded content.:smashin:

Oh yes...ofcourse all those films and shows that haven't been released yet are being legally downloaded by people on here.:suicide:

Not sure about ST, but Transformers has been in stock at Movietyme and I'm sure a few other places, so it's perfectly feasible that some people have got the BDs.

Oh yes...ofcourse all those films and shows that haven't been released yet are being legally downloaded by people on here.:suicide:

It's perfectly possible that some industry types have access to discs way before release dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom