Question BLURAY 3D 4K - will it exisit?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mclingo, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    Home 3D is only really good on a large TV, it just doesnt translate well at all on anything under 55inches i found. It seems like the agreed Bluray 4k format makes no mention of 3D either which is a worry as I am just about to fork out for a 65 inch 4k TV.

I wonder however as China is very keen on 3D that some sort of 4K 3D might make it into the market as I still think we'll be seeing 3D movies at the cinema permanently now and have a premium option for bluray sales must always be a good think for marketing - is 4k the death of 3d ?

2. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,645
    3d is a niche market and will remain so, especially in the home. Under the Ultra HD Bluray spec, there is no provision for 4K 3D, so 3D will be staying as it is.

3. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    Niche, yes I agree but its gives the movie companies a good premium option on their blurays, 3d vs 3d pricing has always been different. I really hope we do get 4k 3D, there isnt really any reason at all not to, seems odd to me it doesnt appear in the specs.

4. atmoscinema

atmoscinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    3D has not been included in the 4K spec for Bluray as far as I've read.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  5. moblyme

moblyme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    3D is dead in the water with all the big studios putting less and less stuff out on 3D format unfortunately, it was a big selling point 3 years ago but not any more personally I prefer 3D to standard film playback as it adds a dimension which in my personal opinion is absolutely fantastic to watch a film in 3D.

6. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    A lot of time and investment went into developing 3d this time around for both the home market and for broadcast, it flopped badly and a huge amount of money was lost.
    The 3D stations have been or will be all dropped, and no further investment beyond 1080p is planned for the home market.

Thats the "good reason" that there will be no 4K 3D and thats not going to change anytime soon.

7. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    Where you assessment of 3D is generally correct I dont think they will be dropping 3D in cinema's any time soon as it gives them an extra price bracket to exploint, big action movies in 3D are generally a good experience in cinemas as long as they are done well. This should mean that 1080p 3D bluray will also remain available to those people with huge TV's or home cinema screen like who covet a decent 3D movie. 1080p 3D still looks very good up-scaled on my 65 inch TV so i'm none too bothered its not going to go 4k. However, those with passive 4k tv's may still see 3d 4K as china is very keen on 3D so they may create their own format, don't completely rule it out yet :)

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    It will continue in the cinema , kids love it , that's not the issue here.

Where it flops , every single time its introduced , is in the home market and this is not the first time 3D has flopped for the home market.

What stung badly this time though , is the amount of money spent in development of the HDMI chips and screen technology to make this generation possible , it cost hundreds of millions , and its an investment that will never see a return.

The tech is there now though , and its trivial to keep it , in fact it would cost more to develop the chips without it , so 1080p 3D capability will be there in the HDMI chipsets for the very few interested in using it.

What may not stay however , is the screen technology to take advantage of the tech in the chipsets , for example , Visio , a huge seller in the states , is dropping it from their screens.

I'm in the HDMI design business , and I'm telling you now , there will be no development of 4K 3D.
    The 1080p 3D tech cycle is seen as the great depression of the home TV market , an unmitigated disaster that put many out of business and threatened many many more with going bankrupt.
    It will not be tried again anytime soon , people don't even like to talk about it at the moment.

9. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
  10. moblyme

moblyme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Our local multi plex charges no more to watch a 3D movie than A standard 2D movie both are the exact same admission price.

11. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I love 3d and purchase all my BR's in the 3D where possible. But, I use a projector which helps, on a TV I find it a waste of time