1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blur on HS10 picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philsparks, Sep 16, 2003.

1. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a HS10 for about 6 months now and in general think it's the business. It was the one way of getting a big telly past SWMBO, so it lives in a cupboard and we use a small telly for newsnight, but for the big games and films it comes out, sits on a coffee table and projects onto a cream wall.

Even in this non-ideal setting (sending the TV and DVD over S-VHS) I'm still astounded by the picture quality. With one caveat - when there's loads of motion the picture goes a bit blurred. when the picture is stationery it's crystal clear, and even when things move fast (e.g. on the footy the camera is still but a ball travels from left to right) that seems fine - the ball doesn't smear or become egg shaped. However if the camera pans and therefore everything is moving the picture is noticeably blurred until it all slows down.

Has anyone any ideas? My thoughts are:

- the TV picture itself is like this. I'm using a JVC s-vhs video to decode analogue telly with a decent aerial and cable. Connected to the HS10 with the free 30' long cable that came with it. Maybe it's just a function of being able to see the picture so much better than with a small CRT telly that you can see this happening. In which case there's nothing I can do.

- the S-VHS connection can't handle the amount of data being sent, maybe with so much changing at once the S-VHS standard hasn't sufficient bandwidth.

- the Sony cable is crummy and I should get something better

- The HS10 scaling etc can't work fast enough. At the moment I'm using a bit of side shot and also keystone, but even if I get rid of this and end up with a parallelogram it doesn't seem any better.

The grand plan is to get the projector in a better place so no sideshot or keystone. And also to get a HCPC, maybe with freeview card. Will any of this solve my problem?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I think you'll find this is a 'feature' of most digital projectors. It is to do )I believe) with the internal bandwidth (amount of data being passed to the chip) and also the scaling. I do not believe it is anything at all to with cable connections, use of sideshot/keystone etc.

You may find an external scaler like an iScan or HTPC will improve it but to be honest I do not think it eliminate it completely. Others can chip in here and give there impressions though but I think you will find you are stuck with it. Digital pjs have many plus points but also a few downsides, this being one of them.

HTH.

3. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn off DDE in the options menu.

Jaggies when panning will disappear.

4. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the posts, I'd already turned the DDE thing off some time ago and noticed then that life is definitely better. DDE does seem to do a great job of really smoothing the picture, the downside is its inability to handle lots of movement very well.

My guess is that if and when I get the HCPC that could provide a cure if I could get the DVI output to effectively drive each HS10 pixel individually. However that's fine for DVDs but for TV I'll have to rely on a Nebula freeview card. Now every time I've viewed Sky I've been horrified at how patently low the bit rate obviously is, If there's blockiness even in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire then there's no hope for smooth screens when there's loads of movement in say a game of footy.

I guess that if a HCPC worked well then an i-scan with DVI out matched to the HS10's panel could also work well. Anyone know if it's possible to get good results using the HCPC to do this job - i.e. take the S-VHS output from my video (using it as an analogue tuner) feed into the PC then drive the projector using the DVI?

Phil

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

S-video from my Sky box to capture card through Dscaler & out to HS10 via DVI = :smashin:

6. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer - thanks for the reply, so is the picture quality better this way than simply plugging the s-vhs output straight into the back of the HS10? Intuitively you'd think not, one more process and all that, but maybe the HCPC is much better/faster than the internals of the HS10.

BTW what capture card and software do you use to make this work?

cheers Phil

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    After many months of trying to get a stutter-free picture using capture card+DScaler I finally gave up. There was certainaly an acceptable ampunt of stutter (only obvious if I looked for it) watching movies/regular TV but watching sporting events (specially hurling) it was unacceptable.

Conor