Bluetooth USB soundcard - is that a thing?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Keverso, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Keverso

Keverso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok peeps - got a good one here for you...

I currently use a PC (Kodi) connected to my TV as a main device. It is connected via optical to the surround sound system and all is wonderful. I also have a USB sound card on a switch box. This is connected to a bluetooth transmitter and then on to headphones. One socket of the switch box is plugged into my main PC and the other into the Kodi Pc. This means when I switch it over to Kodi - as it is the newest sound source - it switched from the optical output to the headphones automatically. Again all is wonderful apart from the mess of a usb sound card into 3.5mm into a bluetooth transmitter...

So I am wondering ... is there such a device that would act as a USB sound card but is also a bluetooth transmitter (optional 3.5mm is not anything I care about for this application). I have searched for things like "bluetooth sound card" and not found anything that would do this in a single device. But then I have not read all of the internet so it is possible such a thing exists and I just need to find (or b told about) it.

Thanks in advance

Keverso

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    I feel like I'm missing something in your description, but it sounds like you want a USB device to plug into your PC to connect only to your bluetooth headphones. That's a generic bluetooth dongle/adapter, nothing more specific is needed.

3. Keverso

Keverso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. Keverso

Keverso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost... However for the automatic switching to work whatever I connect/remove needs to present as a sound device. Kodi will switch to a new sound card when it is plugged in but does not regard a usb bluetooth dongle as a sound device so will not automatically switch. This is why I have the USB sound card into a bluetooth transmitter ... but if I could get it all in one divide that would be better. I also have to charge the bluetooth transmitter so it only works for a few hours.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    That might be worth a post on the Kodi forum. It's the sort of inconsistency developers are often interested in removing.

I am struggling to think of a market that might want a device that combines a USB audio sink with a Bluetooth audio source. Most traditional sources of audio like TVs and HiFis haven't typically implemented USB audio output and those devices that have like phones and computers can handle bluetooth themselves.

A potential solution is setting Kodi back to using the default windows sound device as Windows will switch to a new audio device when it's attached. I'm not entirely sure of the behaviour but I would assume it's along the lines of switching back to devices that were the default device when they were removed/disabled.

6. Keverso

Keverso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reading Endless... Good news is ... I got one!!!!!

In case any one is searching for the same thing what you need is a Creative BT-W2. This looks like a bluetooth dongle but as far as windows is concerned it is a sound card ... but there is a button to pair it with headphones. Near as I can tell it's exactly what I am after.