Bluetooth Sennheiser headphones. BT laptop. Communication? Hah!

deeplyblue

I’m beginning to think that I’m just too old for this technology. Alexa and I are having an armed truce, but I think I might be able to work out what to do with her. But Bluetooth? I think only an unconditional surrender with full war reparations is going to be the only possible outcome.

The issue in point. A (still more) elderly friend is probably going to leave her own space and go somewhere where she will need to be able to listen to her own music and cut down the ambient sounds to retain her own sense of space. That first came up in 2019 and after a long hiatus this plan finally needs activating.

I had said, “What you need is a good pair of noise cancelling headphones. Better yet you need a Bluetooth pair so that you don’t have to worry about getting tangled up in headphone leads.” She has a Dell Inspiron 17 Laptop with a lot of (mostly classical) music on a nifty portable hard drive. The laptop has Bluetooth. So I bought her a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550 headphones, good for refined musical tastes and noise-cancelling.

Now I can’t make the headphones listen to the laptop.

What I have managed to do is to get the laptop to declare that it is paired with “PXC 550”. Not connected, and I can’t find any way in which to start a connection. (The laptop’s Bluetooth is shown as On in Settings).

The headphones tell me (audibly) that the device is “pairing” – not “paired”. It keeps on saying that, until I turn the power off. I have double- (and triple-) checked that Bluetooth is turned on at the headphone’s miniscule switch.

Every bit of googling simply leads me to more complications or instructions I can’t carry out, like:

The PXC 550 Wireless headphones comply with the Bluetooth 4.2 standard. In order that data can be transmitted wirelessly using Bluetooth, you have to pair your headphones with a compatible Bluetooth device that supports the following profiles:​

• Hands Free Profile (HFP)
  • Headset Profile (HSP)
  • Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
  • Device ID Profile (DIP)

I don’t know how to find out any of this – or whether any deficiencies sinks the project entirely.

Should I just give up and tell her to manage with the wire?

Or is there a sanity-preserving (mine) way to get her music to her earphones without wires?

db

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Just added my MM500X to my laptop with no drama.

Settings > Devices > Bluetooth > Add Bluetooth Device

Place headphones in pairing mode & click Bluetooth (mice, keybords,etc.) Headphones were immediately detected, connected & paired.

1617350158170.png

Suggest you remove them & start again.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom