Bluetooth question

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Tomvdk, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Tomvdk

Tomvdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I have a question to which several internet searches have resulted no answer:

Does Bluetooth 4.0 automatically include the aptx codec?

I feel this is rather important as this would provide higher quality music streaming from my desktop to my bluetooth headset.

Kr,
    Tom

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    Bluetooth isn't a monolithic standard where every device that has it has to support the whole thing. Devices are free to pick and choose from different protocols so that they only need to support the ones they want:
    List of Bluetooth profiles - Wikipedia

Presumably what you're effectively asking is does the profile used by music listening headphones require mandatory support for the AptX codec? I believe the answer is no.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174

Correct the latest Bose Headphones do not.

Bose QuietComfort 35 review

4. Tomvdk

Tomvdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Seems like a rather odd decision on Bose's part, doesn't it?
    From what I've gathered AptX provides a much greater sound quality than other bluetooth standards.

5. Tomvdk

Tomvdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Perhaps I should have specified what sprouted the question in the first place.
    I ordered some BT headphones (XTZ Divine headphone) which have the AptX codex.
    What I was then looking for were dongle options for my desktop to be able to enjoy the headphone to its' fullest.

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    A bluetooth dongle is the hardware for use by the bluetooth software ('stack') on the computer.

Windows 10 added AptX support to it's built in bluetooth software. If it was an open standard I'd be confident that it would work with any normal dongle. As it's not, there may be licensing restrictions to only work with certain chipsets or other silliness.

So if you've got Windows 10 I'd say there's a good chance you don't need anything special. If you're using older version of Windows then you will need a bluetooth dongle that comes with it's own software stack so you want to look for ones that specifically say they have aptX support.

7. Tomvdk

Tomvdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Alright I might be a little under-informed on the subject.
    I was under the impression the dongle itself would have to provide the bluetooth signal for my desktop?
    From your explanation, I gather it would simply use software embedded in Windows 10 (which I have btw) to simply transmit the AptX coded signal from my desktop to the output hardware (my headphones) which has the codec as well?
    So a simple BT transmitter would then allow the dongle to connect with my BT headphones using AptX bluetooth, regardless of whether the dongle itself has a specification of AptX on board?

By the way, huge thanks for your replies :)

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Can't say the audio is that much better, what is very much better is the audio synch when watching video using headphones (low latency). Without aptx the audio lags the video producing lip synch issues.