Bluetooth/MP3/CD head unit/TV/aerial/satellite/internet in a truck - some questions

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Napoleon88, May 6, 2007.

1. Napoleon88

Napoleon88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I drive a truck all over the UK and spend a few nights away in it each week.

At the moment, it is fitted with a junk CD player and farty speakers :( I also have a 5" portable 24v B&W telly :(

I'd like to completely update the ICE (or ITE in this case ;) ).

Questions:

1) I'd like to buy a CD/MP3/Bluetooth head unit and new speakers - it can be either 12v or 24v. The current speakers (2 of) are 5" circular speakers mounted behind plastic grilles. I saw a Sony unit in Halfrauds yesterday priced at £150 I think it was 4 x 50w - is anyone familiar with this unit and if so is it any use? Please bear in mind that I am not looking to enter sound-offs with this thing, it is only for my own entertainment and reasonable quality is all I am looking for.

2) TV. My current tellybox isn't worth a sook. I'd like to maybe get a small LCD and recieve a digital signal. Is there a small LCD TV out there with built in Freeview that will work off 12v or 24v? Or if it won't work off those voltages, what do I need to buy to convert? Also, does anyone know of an aerial that will be good enough to get a quality signal for this application? I can fit anything sensible to the roof of the truck without much problem.

3) Internet. What are the options for internet on the move? I suppose I could buy a cheapo laptop easily enough, but then how do I connect for a reasonable price? My primary useage would be to browse a vBulletin forum.

Thanks very much for any advice given :smashin:

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    1. Sorrry can't help.

2. See:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507584

Maplin amongst others sell small (7") LCD TV's with built in Freeview, or try http://www.towsure.com

Maplin also sell 12V and 24V to 230V invertors if required.

3. PAYG or contract.

PAYG. You can get data from a £1 a day on Orange and T-Mobile and I think Vodafone soon. Or seven days off peak on Orange for £5 from 1st June.

Contract. T-Mobile Web'n'Walk offers 3Gb plus a HSDPA modem for £29 per month.

There are other offers on all networks apart from O2 and Virgin either in force or coming soon, as above from 1st June for some.

Have look in the mobile phone forum.