Bluetooth microphone

Moomz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a teacher and want to record some of my lessons on the fly. I'm a little worried about sound quality so wanted to have a clip on microphone that will connect directly to my iphone via bluetooth. Does such a thing exist?

Would appreciate a point in the right direction..

The Sony ECM-AW3 - Bluetooth Wireless Microphone System for Video Cameras is the way to go - so other users tell me.

Thanks. I really wanted to minimise equipment though. Is there anything available that uses the built in bluetooth of the iphone?

I would have thought that a Bluetooth transmitter could connect direct to the Iphone as well as the Sony receiver - is it not a matter of pairing? Most of the Bluetooth systems are designed for two way connection, could you use an in-ear transmitter? I suggest you research on Amazon.
In the camcorder world we use plug in mics and the Wi-Fi is restricted to camera control. Why into an Iphone? Would a handheld recorder not work better? I would use my Zoom H2 for an application like this.

There doesn't seem to be a bluetooth mic transmitter that will use the iphone bluetooth as the receiver.... which seems bit strange?..

anyway, if you're just doing audio recording, then you could go for a Zoom recorder like Terfyn suggests, or, for quite a lot less money.....

Buy one of these:Sony ICDPX333.CE7 4GB PX Series MP3 Digital Voice IC Recorder: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

and one of these: Speedlink Spes Clip-On Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and just pop the recorder into your pocket.

Sounds like this : http://www.jp137.com/las/Sonysample.MP3

Not bad for less than £50 (sorry about the voice!:))

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It is strange that nothing is available. I was hoping to do video myself from back of the room and transmit my voice through microphone. May have to look for another solution..

It is strange that nothing is available. I was hoping to do video myself from back of the room and transmit my voice through microphone. May have to look for another solution..

You have already appreciated the need for 'close miking', to get good dialogue audio. There is no reason why you can't record the video as you suggest, and use a separate remote audio recorder - like the one I mentioned above perhaps? - to record the audio from your tie clip mic.
You would then need to replace the original audio track from your video recording with your remotely recorded audio - using a video editing program.
This is no where near as difficult as it may seem at first, and would offer a very cost effective way of finding a solution to your problem of getting a good audio recording......

Your limitation may be the Iphone. If you were using a proper camcorder there would be no problem attaching the Sony or another wireless mic to the camera. If you can talk to the Iphone using a Bluetooth headset why can you not record with that input?

I was reluctant to suggest this unit after reading the star ratings and customer comments!!!!!

This version fares a little better ....Nolan LiveMIC Bluetooth Wireless Microphone, Remote Voice Transmitter, Long Range, Clarity Sound. With cardioid, omnidirectional and external microphone pattern selection, built in gain control, mute and real time sound monitoring to make sound great for Podcasting, Distance education, Web conference, Home studio recording Voice recording, Hearing aids, Camcorder, YouTube, Panel Session, VoIP and more. Work with most of Bluetooth audio receivers, speakers, iPhone, iPad, Android and smartphones, MacBook Air, laptop, Mac and PC: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

In truth, I suspect the claimed range is going to be a bit optimistic with these Blu tooth devices.... even 'proper' radio mics often have complaints about 'drop outs'

As you will know from this thread (and others! :)) I'm all for the more reliable remote audio recorder approach. No 'iffy' radio links ... no trailing wires..... just the need to replace and 'sync' the new audio...
A pretty simple procedure which, for some reason that eludes me, seems to frighten people away!

Really, it's not that difficult to do!.....

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So my thinking is that I have an older generation iphone sat in a drawer.. Could I use the speedlink clip-on microphone plugged into this to record voice and use my current iphone to capture the video. I can the replace the sound later.. Would that work?

I was hoping for everything to be set up quick and easy which is why I didn't want to bother with a video camera.

So my thinking is that I have an older generation iphone sat in a drawer.. Could I use the speedlink clip-on microphone plugged into this to record voice and use my current iphone to capture the video. I can the replace the sound later.. Would that work?

I was hoping for everything to be set up quick and easy which is why I didn't want to bother with a video camera.

That should work OK...... I'm not familiar with the iphone, so I don't know about specifics. For the speed link mic to work the iphone mic socket will need to include 'plug in power'. There's a 99% chance that it does...

Not sure about the format for audio and video the iphone uses? -- I'm guessing mp4 for the video, and aac for the audio. To be able to replace the audio 'in sync' you will probably need to convert the files the another format (using free software) to make it easier to find a reference point to sync the audio.
Also useful to start both devices, and then make a 'clapper board' loud noise to give you an easy point to find on both audio tracks in your editor.

It all sounds a bit difficult to do the first time, but taking it step by step it's not as bad as it seems.
And it's much easier to do the second time!......

The Sony ECM-AW3 - Bluetooth Wireless Microphone System for Video Cameras is the way to go - so other users tell me.

Just for the sake of completeness, just tried my Sony ECM-HW1T Bluetooth transmitter ( much earlier version of the ECM-AW3 ) and whilst my iPhone recognises the transmitter, it won't pair! Also tried with my iPad Air which doesn't 'see' it at all.

Good luck with other solutions.

Col.

Thanks for all your input guys. I will let you know how it goes..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom