Question Bluetooth Headphones for Sport

jezston

I have had a pair of Sennheiser MM100 for a number of years now, and they've served me well, they are good for gym, running and cycling, they sound pretty decent, they fit with a helmet, and they are fully open so I never feel isolated from my surroundings. However they recently got broken, and I've been looking for a replacement.

This has been tricky, as it seems neckband, over-ear, bluetooth headphones simply DO NOT EXIST any more.

After much research, I bought a pair of Jabra Elite Active t75 in ear bluetooth buds. I am just about to leave home to see if I can get them refunded as I HATE them. They do not fit in my ears comfortably despite trying different grips, they sound awful (I do not understand their positive reviews, they are thin and clangy with some deep slushy bass shoved over the top), and their 'hear through' technology is just trash - the sound is laggy behing reality and thin and make it really hard to hear where sounds are coming from. And if there is any wind they are a just a distorted mess. This has led me to really question reviews online as my experience has been totally contrary to reviews.

So what I think I need is:

- An over ear design like the MM100s, but still modern. Have I missed something, and someone still makes something decent in this form factor?

OR

- An in ear design that is fully open backed so I can still hear through them without some mic-to-speaker arrangement

And that sound decent and natural, with a strong bass but not some artificially enhanced bass that makes kick drums sound flabby and loose rather than punchy, also with controls within easy reach.

I'm happy to spend good money if its worth it. Not after something cheap, was already comfortable spending €200 on the Jabras, and think I spent something like €120 on the Sennheisers.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

psikey

Distinguished Member
I normally listen to wired high and-IEM's, but for use while exercising (mostly bike/walking for me) am amazed at the fit/comfort/price/usability/sound/battery of the Samsung Buds+ (the 2 driver version).

I use directly out of my Samsung S10+ and will work best with a Samsung phone. My normal music rig is a Sony ZX507 DAP with Noble K10U/Shure SE846 IEM's.

I also have a Fiio BTR5 BT DAC/AMP which I could use with my high-end IEM's but find the Buds+ fine & just so easy to use. Never fell out of my ears.

jezston

am amazed at the fit/comfort/price/usability/sound/battery of the Samsung Buds+ (the 2 driver version)

Funny, I have an s10e and it was a toss up between the buds+ and the jabra in the end, and I went with the jabras. I just wish the was a way to try the buds+ before buying them. I'll ask around if anyone I know has them.

How do you find them when cycling? Does the pass through mode make a load of noise? Or are they fairly open already?

I've also since been recommended to check out the JBL Reflect Flow as these are apparently open backed.

psikey

Distinguished Member
One
Funny, I have an s10e and it was a toss up between the buds+ and the jabra in the end, and I went with the jabras. I just wish the was a way to try the buds+ before buying them. I'll ask around if anyone I know has them.

How do you find them when cycling? Does the pass through mode make a load of noise? Or are they fairly open already?

I've also since been recommended to check out the JBL Reflect Flow as these are apparently open backed.
Open already to hear traffic unless you have too loud. The pass through doesn't work too well as the fast wind noise cycling made for distorted sound.

One of other main things is that I have phone in a pannier on back of bike and other BT can break up when your body gets between, but no issue with the Buds+ with S10+ for me.

I'd always listen with my high-end IEM's at home but these are great while being active. May also be down to ear shape as my friend had a set and he said they were not secure while he was running but I tried a little jog & fine for me. Or he didn't get his fit correct with the 3 rings supplied.

shodan

Distinguished Member
I've only used about a hundred different pairs in my search for best buds for training and I keep coming back to the Anker Soundbuds Curve.
Sweat resistance, about 18 hours battery life, support comfortable, tough and resistant, aptx.
Simply fantastic. When I eventually kill them, I'll replace them with another pair.
Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom