1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth Hands Free Car Systems

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by STEVE THOMAS, Jan 16, 2004.

1. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Does anybody have any experience of these bluetooth hands free car systems that you plug into the cigarette lighter.

I've seen a couple from Pama, one with a caller i.d.screen,
    one from a company called Kondor and another from parrot.

they all seem to be around £100 and I don't want to spend this if these things are mickey mouse. I would then prefer to buy the nokia cark 112 kit and have it fitted to my car, although I have a problem with the non available mute cable for my model of car.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

steve.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Pama ones where you slotted the phone into the holder in the cigarette lighter socket had crap sound and mike pick-up, so I don't suppose anything similar will sound good either.

If you are spending £100, then I would get the excellent Parrot 3000 which mutes your stereo (any one) and has the external mike and remote call make/receive button.

3. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply woody. I have thought about the parrot or nokia kit ( I have a nokia 6310i ) but apparantly there is no wiring kit available for the built in radio. I have a 02 Lexus GS300,and apart from paying about a grand for the lexus wiring kit and the lexus phone! I don't see any way around it.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thats odd. I thought the connector from the Parrot was a universal fit for todays radio units?

Even if the actual connector block does not fit your radio unit, I would presume that the cables can be crimped onto existing speaker feeds

My installation guide is not to hand, but I thought that the speaker cables are just cut, and the Parrot unit does the muting of the speakers.

The cable kit seems to just be a convenient way of fitting the control unit in-line. There does not appear to be many cable connections - just the normal speaker and earth cables.

Even if this is not the case, then there must be a connection terminal on the back of your radio unit which would recieve a mute signal from the Parrot unit if needed

More info may be available on the Parrot site at www.driveblue.com

5. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    parrot also do a speaker add on to this kit in case this helps

6. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE, IT'S VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANKS GUYS.