Bluetooth dongle vs bluetooth transmitter

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by James Gregory, Aug 9, 2017.

1. James Gregory

James Gregory
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of new bluetooth headphones that I want to connect to my work desktop which does not have built-in bluetooth hardware. It looks like you can do this one of two ways (1) a usb dongle, or (2) a bluetooth transmitter. I'd like to get whatever option has the better audio quality and I am wondering if anyone has tried one or both of these options and can tell me which one would produce better sound.

Dongle example:
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Raspberry Pi, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth, and Stereo Headset Compatible): Computers & Accessories

Transmitter example:
    https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-B...298107&sr=1-16&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    The quality will depend on which audio formats (codecs) the individual products have in common with your headphones, the type of product makes no difference.

Generally a dongle is more capable and cheaper because the PC is driving it rather than having to be a full standalone unit.

Obviously a computer can generally support all formats, but one of the popular higher quality ones - AptX - has it's licencing tied to certain bluetooth chipsets so can't be used on all dongles.