largeruk

I have a bluetooth audio question which I'd be really grateful for some help with.

My PC is connected to a non-smart tv and hi-fi system via separate video & audio cables. The video is sent to the TV via a DVI to HDMI cable. The audio goes to the hifi via the 3.5mm audio out from the computer to 2 x aux input RCA sockets on the hi-fi. I use this setup to watch films / listen to music that is stored on the PC.

I'm trying to find a way to selectively be able to play the audio to a pair of bluetooth headphones on those occasions where quiet in the room is needed by other people.

[The computer has neither HDMI out nor bluetooth]

I have looked for an in-line (low/no latency) bluetooth transmitter which has an audio out socket and a switch which enables/disables bluetooth audio transmission so that I can put it in between the audio out socket of the computer and the inputs on the hi-fi system. I am having no joy.

Do such things exist and if they do can you help me out with some advice and links? If not, what is the easiest/lowest cost solution to my conundrum?

Many many thanks to anyone with a bigger brain than I who can help! :)

largeruk

Have looked into both the Avantree options and a commonly reported issue is audio lag so not really an option watching any video/film with dialogue where lipsynch is important.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Upvote 0

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It's not a given that you'll have lipsync problems.
Buy the Avantree from Amazon and try it, you can return it for a full refund.

Upvote 0

Jules Tohpipi

Have looked into both the Avantree options and a commonly reported issue is audio lag so not really an option watching any video/film with dialogue where lipsynch is important.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

There have been various flavours of Bluetooth over the decades. The version designed from the outset to minimise lag is called aptX LL (the LL standing for Low Latency). The catch is that both the transmitter and headphones need to support aptX LL otherwise there's a risk of lag.

Those two Avantrees transmitters both feature aptX LL. If you have not bought the headphones yet then next stage is to acquire Bluetooth headphones featuring aptX LL. Any other approach is a hit-or-miss blind gamble regarding Bluetooth lag.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

largeruk

Thank you both for your helpful suggestions. I have a pair of in-ear bluetooth headphones but they are not aptX LL so will have to purchase a pair. Any recommendations for lowish cost in-ear bluetooth headphones?

Cheers

Upvote 0

JayCee

Distinguished Member
My Panasonic TV has standard Bluetooth (no aptX LL) and my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones also don't have LL but I had no lag or sync problems…my advice would be buy the transmitter first and try it with your existing headphones.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom