Question bluetooth adapter for turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by simonx98, Dec 3, 2017.

1. simonx98

simonx98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    since moving house, I no longer have a stereo system, just stream from PC to wireless speaker.
    Can you get some sort of bluetooth transmitter that will allow me to play direct from turntable (old Project Debut) to wireless speakers?

Cheers ... Simon.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    Sort of, the turntable will still need a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, that might be built into the Turntable or you may need to by an external Phono Pre-Amp (~£60 to £70).

Just like they make Bluetooth Receivers, they also make Bluetooth Transmitters, which you can find on Amazon. Avantree makes a Bluetooth Devices that is selectable between Transmit and Receive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...=Avantree+Bluetooth,aps,354&crid=BJTV6HFA0SAV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-B...nes-TX-RX-Low-Latency-Supported/dp/B00LAZ6RTW

Or Transmitter only -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-B...-Location-Charge-Free-Priva-III/dp/B01N5KKUR0

BUT, and this is a big but, how do you control the volume? If the Bluetooth speakers do not have their own volume control, then there is going to be a problem.

Steve/bluewizard

3. simonx98

simonx98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great thanks @BlueWizard . Speakers have volume control.
    Actually I have a small old Denon system I might dig out, presuming the bluetooth devices plug into the mono output?

I notice the transmitter is £40 versus £25 for the transmitter+receiver, would this be reflective of quality?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252

The £40 Transmitter is a new model, the £25 Transmitter+Receiver has been around a while. I didn't look at the specs, but there are newer standards for Bluetooth. I think the lastest might be something like 4.2.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    For people in this situation that haven't yet purchased a turntable, Elipson's range of Bluetooth turntables are perfect - inbuilt phono stage (moving magnet and moving coil catered for), as well as Bluetooth transmission. They might be a little much for some starting at £430, but with these, there's no need for any extra little boxes (as long as your system is already Bluetooth ready, of course).

Ideal for Denon HEOS and and Bluesound systems, as well as other Bluetooth speakers too.

6. Signal11th

Signal11th
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to reply as I've literally done the same thing, as those above have said you either need a set of speaker with individual volume controls or a device in between the speaker and the preamp. I initially has a Project turntable (very small room hence the bluetooth setup) with a premap and a bluetooth transmitter going to a pair of HK speakers I had setup with a receiver. Worked well but as above poster said volume control was a problem, I solved this by sticking an old Surround System control box in I found in a cupboard, plugged the preamp into this and then the receiver on the outs of the old Surround Sound box and then onto my speakers. All nice and tidy and literally the whole setup cost me around 200 quid instead of 400 plus for an inbuilt system.
    Yes I know vinyl geeks are going to be outraged but it was this or nothing and for me it works very well.

works quite well I can either have the phone/computer playing through the speakers or if I'm in the mood for Vinyl I can play those through the same setup. looks neat, not honking great speakers taking up half the room, no wires showing. All that was need was a bit of tech knowledge and MDF shelf making skills.

7. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    ..Vinyl geeks DESERVE to be outraged...4

8. Signal11th

Signal11th
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, and to be honest it's not my preferred setup either just one that works in the enviroment it's in. I think these old records of mine would prefer to be played than not. It just breaks my heart the amount of old amp's and turntable etc I used to throw out back in the 80's.