Question Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter with switchable inputs?

mr magnolia

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ive just given my sennheiser bt 4.2 transmitter to father in law and realised that my immediate alternative has optical and analogue inputs, but not switchable.

Is there a BT5.0 switchable transmitter around that I should check out? I use optical in direct from TV and analogue in from headphone amp. If the optical had pass-through capability as well that would be tops.

thanks!

OK I am able to answer my own question now, just in case this is useful:

the Avantree Oasis plus allows me to couple up the optical feed from my TV (or any other unit obvs.) to the transmitter and then pass through to my hifi amp, and also to have my headphone amp out coupled to the analogue feed on the avantree unit. You can 'pass through' an analogue signal and/or an optical signal.

there is a simple push button switch to choose optical or digital feed for the transmitter to send onwards via BT, even if both feeds are 'live' into the unit (admittedly a weird arrangement, but experiments , huh.). Good BT range also.

strangely Avantree themselves seem to think that the Oasis Plus is not 'switchable' for inputs

there is a simple push button switch to choose optical or digital feed for the transmitter to send onwards via BT, even if both feeds are 'live' into the unit (admittedly a weird arrangement, but experiments , huh.). Good BT range also.

Do you mean to switch between analogue and optical? I can't find that button on mine, albeit I've got the earlier version which is BT4.2

Edit: Aha! I've just read the online manual for the new BT5.0 version. The old voice-prompt button (which was labelled with a speech balloon) has now become a dual-function button. First function is the voice prompt feature and second function is a new aux/opt switch. The button label now reads 'Voice Aux/Opt' according to the manual. A short press switches between aux/opt and a long press activates/deactivate the speech. The BT4.2 version of the Oasis Plus never had the aux/opt switching.

The images Avantree are using for the Oasis Plus BT5.0 on Amazon are out of date and incorrectly show images of the old BT4.2 product (with just a speech bubble label rather than the Voice aux/opt label).

Nice find - thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Glad you found it. ‘Push button’ isn’t correct on mines - it’s an electrical touch switch of some sort. And yes I think that’s the same one that switches the voice prompt on and off.

Glad you found it. ‘Push button’ isn’t correct on mines - it’s an electrical touch switch of some sort. And yes I think that’s the same one that switches the voice prompt on and off.

How is it the button labelled on yours? Like the Amazon photo here (speech bubble only and no text), or like the manual in the link underneath ('Voice' written in text above the button)?

Amazon product ASIN B07BQYYDNJ

Link to the manual

No, it looks like this:
35A2C53A-00B1-4AC7-A5A3-8934152B9D3E.jpeg
35A2C53A-00B1-4AC7-A5A3-8934152B9D3E.jpeg

Thank you for the photo.

So yes, you have an 'AUX/OPT' button to switch between the two inputs. Whereas the previous version of the Avantree Oasis Plus (with BT4.2) did not, and had in that place a button for switching the voice prompts on/off.

The Amazon photo for the new Oasis Plus does not show this new button - it is still showing the photo for the old model with the speech bubble instead. Nor does the Amazon listing mention the new AUX/OPT switching feature. So, I'm not surprised the (excellent) UK distributor doesn't seem to know about the change either.

The new online manual says a short press of the 'AUX/OPT' button switches the input and a long press turns the voice prompts on/off. It also labels the button 'Voice AUX/OPT' but that seems not to be true on the unit itself.

However, as you have discovered, it's a good additional feature to an already excellent product.

:)

Quick question, would that work with my Denon receiver? I‘ve got a set of record decks and mixer in one room and want to be able to transmit direct from the RCA output of the mixer to my receiver in another room. I bought a cheap thing on amazon for £10 but it’s mono and no idea on streaming format/quality, and while it works, I don’t think it sounds as good as if I were plugged directly into the receiver itself. It’s also super laggy, so mixing is virtually impossible.

edit: I do of course understand that being converted from analog to digital will always cause loss of fidelity :)

Last edited:
Just to update/answer my own question in case any one else wonders, yes it works well with my AVC-X8500H, sounds quality is much improved and in stereo which makes a huge difference! Sadly still a bit too laggy to mix, but perfect for just enjoying the music on my big system :)

Just to update/answer my own question in case any one else wonders, yes it works well with my AVC-X8500H, sounds quality is much improved and in stereo which makes a huge difference! Sadly still a bit too laggy to mix, but perfect for just enjoying the music on my big system :)

glad you answered that - I couldn't imagine an answer! there is a switch on the oasis unit to select hifi or low latency settings - does that maybe make any difference for your needs?

To be honest, I’ve not even read the instructions. I meant to after getting it working, but was enjoying the music too much and forgot lol. I will have a read and experiment tonight, thanks for the heads up and for recommending the Oasis unit, it’s a great bit of kit :smashin:

Right, just tested, and made no difference sadly. Did a bit of digging and believe its a limitation of the Denon receiver, it only seems to support the SBC codec, so unfortunately not able to make the most of this and use APTX/LL/HD, but it’s significantly better than what I had in terms of sound quality.
I think I’d have been better off going for the TR500 (which doesn’t appear to be available in the uk). So, dilemma is, do I buy a second one and try to connect them to one another and the use the optical out into the AV receiver for even better sound quality and low latency.

Streaming Bluetooth from one room to another will surely always be a bit messy, or at least at risk? Seems like you might be better with a long cable run with cheap cables?

Whilst it was worth a try, the only guaranteed way to ensure low lag is to have aptX-LL devices at the transmitting and receiving ends. If those were to be a pair of Oasis Plus, they would both need to be set to aptX-LL on their flick switches (not aptX-HD).

On the other hand, if you want to save a few quid, you could buy the Oasis (not Oasis Plus) to plug into the Denon. The Oasis supports aptX-LL so will be low lag and also has an optical out. What you will lose (compared to the Oasis Plus) is the aptX-HD option. However, if low lag is your 'must-have' then you will be deliberately switching off the aptX-HD anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s the same conclusion I came to, think it’ll be another Plus version as HD is important when I just want to listen to my vinyl collection. Running cables isn’t really an option as there’s a good chance things will be moved around in the future, Im also not sure on the detrimental effects of running RCA’s over a 20+m cable. When I have some spare cash again, I’ll get another.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom