1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BlueTac or Spikes on stands for DB1s?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by virtualpt, Jun 1, 2005.

1. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    After thinking that I didn't have room for stands I borrowed some from the shop & found I could fit them in. I have now ordered a pair of Atacama Nexus 6 & Atabytes. I notice that they don't have top spikes, I have some Partington Toppers (triangular cones) which used to sit under my old speakers on my bookshelf. Would I be better off using these, or should I BluTac the speakers onto the stands?

Kit is Arcam CD192, Exposure 3010 integrated amp & PMC DB1+s. I enquired about the PMC stands for the DB1s, but they were £275 a pair! Seemed a bit steep to me.

I would like to get a bit more bass definition, as the speakers are very close to each side of a sofa (about 1cm each side) & I have noticed a loss in bass definition compared to the demo room in the shop. I don't really understand speaker/stand acoustics & wondered whether I'd be more likely to get better bass definition from using the cones, or BluTac? Also with BluTac, does one put small blobs in the corners, or cover the whole bottom of the speaker?

Many Thanks
    Paul

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Can't go wrong with a few blobs of blue-tac on each corner, it holds the speaker surprisingly well and makes it very hard to accidentally knock off of the stand.

I'm not entirely familiar with your speakers but you may be able to improve bass definition at the expense of some depth by plugging the reflex port if they have one. Socks are great for this! Also try and experiment a bit with placement within the room and distance from any walls - a few centimetres can really make a difference. :)

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You can get a very good contact with the speaker and stand using blue tac ,use a small ball in each corner and press down on the speaker.
    If you remove the speakers be carefull as i managed to pull a large chunk off the bottom of one of my speakers some years back, they were only cheap speakers though.

4. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys :)

John, the DB1s are a transmission-line speaker & aren't ported as such (a small foam filled port at the end of the transmission line at the back.) It's just a shame they have to go so close to the sofa, it absorbs a lot of the bass, mainly at lower volumes, it doesn't notice so much at higher volumes. When I get my stands in a couple of days (& return the shop ones) I'll experiment in earnest with position. Does toeing in increase bass definition? - although this will point them more at the side of the sofa in my case!

Paul

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    In my experience, lighter speakers work best with blu-tak where heaver speakers seem to work well with spikes. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules and experimentation is very cheap.

Toe-in effects the stereo imaging but not really the bass. The location of the speakers will be the biggest influence on the bass

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you want a tighter bass, you could also try some of the rubber feet that Maplin do for speakers. They hold the speakers on to the stand, though not as firmly as blue tack, and I've found they help to isolate the speakers and give a better bass when I use them with my little mission stand mounts.

Jon

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Try placing the stands on Floor tiles (Standard B&Q type). Also fill the stands with a mixture of lead shot and sand. Another way is to just try putting some heavy weights (Weightlifting type) on top of the speakers. All of this will affect the bass response of the DB1's to some degree.
    Just to agree with everyone, Blu Tac will be fine for the DB1's.

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Put some weights inside the cabinet and they will sound even better

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Can't do that on the DB1's. Small cabinet and transmission line = no room....:thumbsdow

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I stand corrected :suicide: