Bluesound Node 2i Network Audio Player Review & Comments

mickbirch2000

Hi all...I'm interested in the BlueSound Node 2i as the start of my Streaming journey as ive been using a Chromecast Audio for the last year....So as i was using Spotify Premium and using my Samsung Galaxy Edge s7 as the Control for Spotify is that the same for the Node2i albeit using its own software...Ie it wont Drain the battery on my phone? Just signed up to Tidal top tier and would like to listen to the Hi-Res stuff....
Thankyou for any input....
The Node 2i is an excellent way to start a music streaming experience as there is a long list of supported services , the sound quality is surprisingly good, & the Bluos app works well especially with Tidal. Yes you will need to download the bluos android app to control the Node. Your phone will be the display as there is no display on the Node , your phone battery will be ok.

ShinyWarHorse

The Node 2i is an excellent way to start a music streaming experience as there is a long list of supported services , the sound quality is surprisingly good, & the Bluos app works well especially with Tidal. Yes you will need to download the bluos android app to control the Node. Your phone will be the display as there is no display on the Node , your phone battery will be ok.
Cheers for the info.....I shall start with the Node....Thanks...

Helix Hifi

Hi all...I'm interested in the BlueSound Node 2i as the start of my Streaming journey as ive been using a Chromecast Audio for the last year....So as i was using Spotify Premium and using my Samsung Galaxy Edge s7 as the Control for Spotify is that the same for the Node2i albeit using its own software...Ie it wont Drain the battery on my phone? Just signed up to Tidal top tier and would like to listen to the Hi-Res stuff....
Thankyou for any input....
Hello I think you should go for the Node2i. The Dac chip is excellent. Much better then Chromecast. If you are going to use your phone as a remote then yes the battery in your phone well drain over time. If that’s what you mean? The phone well be used as display/remote as mentioned above. The Node2i is excellent as I said. The app could be better. But it’s not as bad as before. You get all kind of streaming services you wish and so on. Good luck.

Last edited:

ShinyWarHorse

Hello I think you should go for the Node2i. The Dac chip is excellent. Much better then Chromecast. If you are going to use your phone as a remote then yes the battery in your phone well drain over time. If that’s what you mean? The phone well be used as display/remote as mentioned above. The Node2i is excellent as I said. The app could be better. But it’s not as bad as before. You get all kind of streaming services you wish and so on. Good luck.
Yes thats correct....I'll use my phone as the remote like i did with Spotify Premium and the Chromecast Audio....
Ordered and now waiting for delivery.....
Thanks for the input....

Mr Broon

Standard Member
I bought an open box node online and got them to throw in a remote 'for free'. Not an essential item by any means - but I'm finding the functionality in terms of presetting radio channels and Tidal playlists very useful, can use without need for phone.

ShinyWarHorse

Hi all and thanks for recent Input from various people....My Bluenode arrived yesterday,all set up and working and very very pleased with it but just a quick question? Does it not go into standby? I know you can hold the play button on the top for more than 5 secs but thats more of a Hard Shut down? Or is it you just leave it on, So the box is just lit up all the time?
Thanks again for any advice....

NottsMFC

After 15 minutes of being idle it will go into standby mode automatically.

xdb

Standard Member
And you can choose to switch off the light so that the box is not lit up all the time ...

RayP

After 15 minutes of being idle it will go into standby mode automatically.
Really? I’m not doubting you but where in the manual does it say that?

NottsMFC

I'm not sure if it's in the manual but I read it somewhere. The below was a response to the same question from a product manager on the Bluesound community.

After 15 minutes of idle, the NODE will shut down into a standby mode using less than 3W as required by EU energy consumption laws, the most stringent requirements in the world. The NODE is an always-ready network appliance so performs best in this mode.

My NAD M10 does the same, more obvious as you hear it click back on when you send a signal to it.

ShinyWarHorse

I'm not sure if it's in the manual but I read it somewhere. The below was a response to the same question from a product manager on the Bluesound community.

After 15 minutes of idle, the NODE will shut down into a standby mode using less than 3W as required by EU energy consumption laws, the most stringent requirements in the world. The NODE is an always-ready network appliance so performs best in this mode.

My NAD M10 does the same, more obvious as you hear it click back on when you send a signal to it.
Yeh i read that but it does not....Lights were all on when i went to bed and still on this morning when i got up...

mseve1

Standard Member
Yeh i read that but it does not....Lights were all on when i went to bed and still on this morning when i got up...
Correct. Contrary to the advice from Bluesound Support the Node 2/2i does not go into sleep mode after 15 minutes - the digital outputs remain 'live' indefinitely and the current drawn is unchanged. Standby can only be effected by engaging 'vacation mode' which effectively shuts down both the audio circuits and network access.

ShinyWarHorse

Correct. Contrary to the advice from Bluesound Support the Node 2/2i does not go into sleep mode after 15 minutes - the digital outputs remain 'live' indefinitely and the current drawn is unchanged. Standby can only be effected by engaging 'vacation mode' which effectively shuts down both the audio circuits and network access.
Thanks for confirming that....No need for the remote then i think....I take it its best to just leave it all the time instead of using vacation mode every day?

mikeysthoughts

Thanks for confirming that....No need for the remote then i think....I take it its best to just leave it all the time instead of using vacation mode every day?
I use vacation mode every day to conserve power, but it's perfectly safe to leave it on all the time.

mikeysthoughts

The remote has a red on/off button but I'm not sure how to perform this 'task' without said remote.
Press Play/Pause on the unit for 7 seconds.

mikeysthoughts

Thanks for that....i'll need to leave it on all the time then....Dont want to fish the white gloves out every day....My OCD wouldn't cope with the finger prints Ha Ha
Ha, my overriding compulsion is to turn off the light!

mickbirch2000

Does the remote work line of site ie. infrared or wi-fi via your network, my node is hidden away on my rack behind Blu-rays etc which means I'm not worried by the lights being on when watching a movie in a darkened room. It does seem to shut down after a while when not streaming but the lights stay lit.

mseve1

Standard Member
Does the remote work line of site ie. infrared or wi-fi via your network, my node is hidden away on my rack behind Blu-rays etc which means I'm not worried by the lights being on when watching a movie in a darkened room. It does seem to shut down after a while when not streaming but the lights stay lit.
I'm intrigued to know how it '"seems to shut down after a while". If the front and top LEDs remain illuminated does something else happen?

ShinyWarHorse

I'm intrigued to know how it '"seems to shut down after a while". If the front and top LEDs remain illuminated does something else happen?
After a little sniffing about apparently the Dac shuts down after 15mins and saves a little power...

mtenga

Distinguished Member
the sound quality is surprisingly good, & the Bluos app works well especially with Tidal.
The BluOS app is better with Tidal than Amazon. Far more intuitive and even a newb like me gets it.

The actual Tidal app itself was easy to use for a starter as well. Just like Spotify I picked it up in no time. Only problem for me is if I update a playlist on the Tidal desktop app the iOS app on my phone where I initially downloaded the playlist keeps on crashing. I’ve had to delete, re-add the app and download the playlist again later when I finished all my changes to get an update. That’s a pain with a 400 song playlist.