Bluesound Node 2i Network Audio Player Review & Comments

RayP

Since I bought my BlueSound Node 2i back in Feb I've been totally happy with it with one minor exception. On the Diagnostics option the wi-fi signal strength is not very consistent. My router is upstairs firing the signal through a ceiling and the Node 2i is directly in line with the router if you ignore the ceiling.

But on some occasions the signal is classed as Fair and other times Good. Wht the inconsistency? Neither unit has moved and I have the 5Ghz channel on its optimum channel. The wi-fi signal strength on my phone remains high even when it's placed adjacent to the player.

Having said that there are no problems streaming music from my NAS box either 16-bit or 24-bit so it's not an audible problem, just the software on the Node 2i.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
What exactly is the problem with your unit? I agree it’s very poor support service. Wasn’t some Amazon HD problems, perhaps?? Probably some software issue. They got a new firmware very quickly after the latest firmware upgrade gave a lot of people problems.
I mentioned the details above. When in the app and using Amazon if you hit a song in your playlist it takes 10-15 seconds to start. If you hit the three dots and then play next it starts normally in a second or two. Might be specific to my network but might be the software.

mseve1

But on some occasions the signal is classed as Fair and other times Good. Wht the inconsistency? Neither unit has moved and I have the 5Ghz channel on its optimum channel.
It's perfectly normal for your wi-fi signal strength to fluctuate by a few dBm over time - even when there are no apparent changes in the environment. Since Bluesound uses a threshold of -60dBm to define whether the signal is classed as 'fair' or 'good' you're simply seeing the effect of small fluctuations around this value. It's nothing to be concerned about.

RayP

@mseve1 , I have a Wi-fi analyser app on my phone. If I place it adjacent to the Node 2i the 5G signal reads -50dB. But the Node Diagnostics screen reads -58dB.

That’s a big difference. The Node is on the top shelf and nothing between it and the router except a ceiling. The Diagnostics side of it doesn’t appear very accurate.

mseve1

Yes, I too have found that the Node 2 appears to under report the signal strength by ~8dBm in comparison to that measured by a mobile phone but at least the difference is consistent as the signal varies :smashin:

RayP

Yes, I too have found that the Node 2 appears to under report the signal strength by ~8dBm in comparison to that measured by a mobile phone but at least the difference is consistent as the signal varies :smashin:
Worth reporting to them I think. I can put my laptop close to the Node 2i so if it and the phone give the same reading then the problem lies in the Node 2i.

RayP

Success! I always thought 5G was preferable to 2.4 but I've swapped to 2.4 and now the signal strength is -50dB and Signal Strength is EXCELLENT. First time I've seen it that high. Makes sense given the location of the router and Node and dispells the myth that 5Ghz is better than 2.4.

Helix Hifi

I mentioned the details above. When in the app and using Amazon if you hit a song in your playlist it takes 10-15 seconds to start. If you hit the three dots and then play next it starts normally in a second or two. Might be specific to my network but might be the software.
That’s not normal. I bet you tried all tricks to get your unit in working order. May I ask how long time you had your Node2i?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
That’s not normal. I bet you tried all tricks to get your unit in working order. May I ask how long time you had your Node2i?
About six months but I’d only started using it in earnest the last couple.

TrondB

No, but you can just use your Qnap to share out the music folder over SMB and then Bluesound can index and playback.
How? I have no idea how it works?

TrondB

Thanks. Up and running now. One more question. Isn't it possible to turn off or set Node 2i into standby? All I see is a sleep timer.

TB Rich

Thanks. Up and running now. One more question. Isn't it possible to turn off or set Node 2i into standby? All I see is a sleep timer.
Correct there's no standby/off.

mseve1

Bluesound Support say that the Node 2i is supposed to go into a low power sleep mode after 15 minutes of inactivity. This doesn't happen with my device as the digital outputs remain 'live' indefinitely and the current drawn is unchanged. You can force it to go into an unresponsive standby status by engaging 'vacation mode' (press play/pause for > 5 secs) which effectively shuts down both the audio circuits and network access. However, its recommended that in normal usage it should be permanently left 'on'.

Helix Hifi

Has anyone ever set up their own settings in the Bluesound audio settings? Stupid question, I know. But I’ve always have had everything as normal in the audio settings expect MQA-Dac off. And Bluesound own jitter clock off. I don’t remember what’s it’s called. Oh, and I have fixed volume on. But their are other settings in analog outputs, digital inputs, plus sync delay if you want. I use an external dac, connected by coax. I only see an optical option called auto sense, plus analog outputs. I’m wondering as I said; what does this settings do? Thanks!