1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluesky's or M&K?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by franc, Nov 8, 2004.

1. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Bluesky 6.5 active monitors and the M&K s150's? What are your opinions? Are the M&K's worth the extra over the Bluesky's?

I have Parasound amps so powering the M&K's will not pose a problem.

thanks...

regards FRANC

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Franc,
    I have heard the Blue Sky's and they are Beautiful Speakers and sound very similar to my M&K 851's so i would say seeing that you have the Parasound to power the 150's then i would say the 150's would be better than the Blue Sky's with the quality amplification you have.
    Don't forget Blue Sky will allow customers to have Home Trial before purchase so that could be an oppertunity to dem them aswell.

John

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you like the monitor sound the M&K's (which I have heard) are the ultimate expression but they are expensive. The Blue Sky speakers on the other hand are much cheaper and whilst some people speak highly of them a friend of mine who has had an extensive demo decribed them as "so fatiguing it's unbelievable. Far too revealing and piercing for my liking"

Smurfin is selling his Blue Skies in the classifieds and he doesn't live too far from you but I assume that you have heard the M&K's so that you have something to compare them with

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree that if listened to at High Levels they could be alittle Fatigueing

John

5. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys. Yes, I have heard, and really do like the M&K's dynamic and detailed presentation. Is there anything else that should be considered (speaker wise) ? I guess I have to listen to the Bluesky's and see. Again, thanks for your thoughts...I have some work to do...

regards FRANC

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I've heard the Blueskys and think they are superb, I haven't had an extended listen on M&K's yet though, so couldn't compare.

I would say you would need a cracking sub with the Blueskys though, they are very detailed, but are strictly limited to an 80Hz crossover I believe (correct if I'm wrong peeps :) ).

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are THX pm3 speakers so you are correct Kazman 80hz Xover point on the Sats.

John

8. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Kazman. I have a Servo 15 and crossover, so should be ok. However, I have been tempted by a few other subs recently. The problem is, I don't think I will get the increase in performance in return for the additional expenditure. That old 'diminishing returns' chesnut!

regards FRANC

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Get yourself a home demo of the Blue Sky system Franc, it's the only way you can hear what they'll sound like in your room.
    Your room will have a good say in performance.

Without wishing to get the wooden spoon out, i think it's M&K that have the 'fatiguing and piercing' sound as you go further up the frequency range & further up the SPL range. My old 750THX did, and so did the S85.
    Do a search on M&K and you'll probably find some old ramblings about this sort of thing. I can think of 2 people who said the same thing.

I've heard quite a few pro monitors around this size & performance
    Genelec 1030, 1031, Dynaudio BM6, KRK V8, Circle 5's & Mackie HR624/824 to name a few, and the Blue Sky has a better top end response than them.
    There are a few of them that beat the mid & bass response (let's not forget, the 6.5's are designed to be used with a sub - like M&K's)

Opinions, opinions, opinions.

Adz

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spligsey i think your right in what you say about the room haveing affects on the sound of your speakers but have to say that my M&K 851's are not at all harsh to listen to infact i was listening at more or less Ref levels yesterday and they were as smooth if not better than any other speaker i have listened to and all the detail and dynamics were still there even when pushed hard.

John

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The Bluesky's are pretty good, if anything I think the midrange is a little weak. I tested a number of speakers at home and ended up with Genelec 8030a's which sound great. It's important to demo speakers at home to see what goes well with the room and to figure out your own preferences.

12. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    John, yes mate - the newer M&K's look very good speakers.
    From memory, one user of MPS1510 & one user of MPS1610 said that they were too much when pushed hard, which is similar to what i experienced with LCR 750THX and S85.
    It's also interesting what some people call "bright & fatiguing"
    Probably proves that different people perceive different things.
    The room plays a big part of it & i also think the preamp/processor does too.
    Having had the Meridian/Blue Sky partnership in operation - this is a good example of it.

Adz

13. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Correct Jeffrey (apart from the Genelec bit - obviously :D )

Adz

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally Agree

John

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Not sure but you may be referring to me, and yes, the MPS1610s did get too much when pushed hard, even without extended listening - I would guess that as Ian J has MPS1510s with an integrated amp (a good one mind) then he would probably love the sound of the Blueskies as I don't think they're as hard as my old 1610s (though the MPS1510s are probably easier to drive than the bigger versions).

The reasons for selling my Blueskies are three-fold, if anyone wants to know: they do sound a little edgey when partnered with the Tag processor (but sounded amazing with a Meridian 568 which - since I demo'd my unit to the ebayer who bought them - I have regretted selling!), I don't really want studio-type monitors in my living room (must be my age:D ) and last but not least...I love trying different kit:)

Franc, you're welcome to drop by for a demo of the Blueskies as you're only down the road, of course the best route would be to get a home demo so you can hear them in your room.

The other advantage of going for the Blues (or A N Other active monitor) is that you can sell your Parasound power amp and spend it on another Servo-15 for greater headroom :devil: or do that upgrade thing :D

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I thought you were getting all 'housed up now?

Well Matt, your new intended choice is a good'un

I have this feelin' that even if old Ian J did like the Blue's, he'd never in a million M&K's admit it, coz it'd be too much for the old duffer to take :laugh:

I'd laugh!

Adz

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    The intended choice was so far from my expectations I was very pleased when I heard them:) (was expecting something dull being used to actives and M&K, but no way!) :)

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    Having heard the MPS version of the 150's I was a little disappointed with their sound, I guess the M&K's i owned (750) and most M&K's are just too forward and harsh to my ears. I would however recommend listening to some actives if looks are not that important. I have 5 Mackie HR624's which i love to bits, the imaging and sound quality is stunning and the midrange is superb (they even look better than the skies, but just). Take your time and get some demos before making your choice (try to get home demos if possible).

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    That one's debatable! I'd rather have the Blue's in a living room over the Mackies for looks, as the mackies simply are a black box. I'd agree with you on one point though....they sound awesome:)

20. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

Don't under any circumstances listen to the AML1's - otherwise you'll sell a kidney to get them.

Outstanding speakers

Adz

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anywhere in London you can Dem the Mackie Range of speakers?

John

22. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    John.
    Might be worth firing off an email to uk@mackie.com as that is the UK distribution email address, they'd be able to tell you your nearist stockist
    Seeings as these are aimed at the professional market, it's unlikely you'll find them in domestic AV retailers.
    Turnkey in Charing Cross Road will have them, and branches of Digital Village - Chadwell Heath or Barnet perhaps
    These are pro audio outlets.

Adz

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spligsey Cheers Mate :smashin:

John

24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    The trouble is, John, that meaningful demos in pro audio stores are even more difficult than in regular AV stores (which is tough to begin with). Probably better off finding an accomodating forum member:) They do sound great though!:)