1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluesky 6.5's and hiss?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jackass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    I'm getting a moderate hiss coming from the 6.5's at there reference setting on the back, is this normal?

I didn't get this much hiss with my M72's connected to my Denon 3801.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve.

2. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's a slight hiss from mine too , only audiable with your ear about 6 inches away

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some £15 active computer speakers that hissed also. ;) :D

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Depends on several things Steve. Firstly, how loud is the "hiss"? All actives have this trait but with all 5 of my actives switched on in my room (which is small) I can barely hear anything. Mains interference can make it worse (I sorted mine by changing extension leads, although this generally makes the speakers hum rather than hiss), but probably the 2 biggest things are:

1. cable quality. What cables are you using?
    2. the pre-outs on your amp could be introducing noise.

5. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Smurfin,

I'm using the mains and signal cables provided by sonic distribution.

The signal cables look like good quality leads to me.

Steve.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    How loud is the system at "idling" when you hear the hiss? And how loud is the hiss itself?

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    No hiss on my mackies, not evern when i used to have them on at 4 in the morning with the sound right down to -50.
    Used to get a mains hum from the internal amp thow, but that was only heard at 4 in the morning with everything switched off and it was on a wooden shelf which didernt help and used to amplifi it.

Sounds like it is some kind of mains interference......
    I'd say try changing the cables and maybe try different lenghts, maybe ( just maybe) your cables are long enough to pick up some stray frequency interfrence from the mains..........prob a long shot but you never know.

8. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get mains noise on 1 of my 6.5s as its next to the wall socket....pull it away and noise goes.....be better when i mount them higher.

Watch out for your cables crossing mains leads....if they cross make sure it is 90"

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    A simple test.

Do they only hiss when connected to the pre-amp?

If they do then they are amplifying noise from the pre.
    If they hiss when not connected then it's noise from the speakers own internal power amps.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I'm talking about a really minor hiss Chris...I can't hear my Blueskies unless my room is totally silent and I'm listening for them.

11. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    I did the test and there is no difference when i disconnect the pre-amp cables from the speakers.

I guess i'm really nit-picking and i really only hear the hiss when i'm near the speaker.

Thanks for the help folks.

Steve.

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Try plugging one in, in another socket in the house and see if it does it.
    If it does then it is just the internal amp and you will have to live with it.
    If it does not then you have got months of headaches trying to find out what is causeing it.

Maybe you should change them now for something else........i know what it's like, once you hear it, it aint ganner go away.
    Either that or NEVER EVER go near the speakers again......:nono:

13. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Case dismissed!

Bluesky's get a :smashin:

Steve

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The Bluesky's are almost certainly more efficient than the Mission speakers so any noise will be more obvious. The 'Sound on sound' review of the 6.5's quotes a couple of minor issues with the sound but hiss isn't one of them. So you can assume they are no better/worse than any other monitor speaker.

Just enjoy them. :thumbsup:

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I read that review some time ago and must admit that I lost interest when I read the above. They summed it up by saying that there were better options if tonally critically material was being listened to but they were OK for AV use where dynamics and bandwidth were more important than accuracy.

16. abluesky

abluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ran across this post and I thought I would follow up on your comment about the SOS review and the noise issue.

First, we have had many reviews done on our systems all except this one were very positive. The product has been nominated and won numerous awards. It is used by a many, many leading professionals, all of whom paid for their systems and most of whom auditioned speakers many times the cost of our monitors before choosing Blue Sky.

Feel free to read what these users had to say and if you don't believe them, listen for yourself (the best and most recommended way to judge speakers). In most territories around the world, our dealers and distributors offer free, no risk, in home / studio demo programs.

Here is a sampling of users along with stories:

Skywalker Sound (50+ Systems Installed) - Nominated for an Oscar for Sound Effects editing on Finding Nemo - http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s2.html

Right Track - A leading high profile music recoding studio in NY - http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s8.html

5.1 Entertainment (OUTKAST, FOO FIGHTERS, USHER) - They use our systems for mastering DVD/A titles. They produce more DVD/A titles than any other studio. http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s7.html

SAE (School of Audio Engineering) - Systems installed at most their world wide locations - http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s1.html

Other users include: KEN CAILLAT (FLEETWOOD MAC, NICKELBACK) • JOEY FERNANDAZ (TLC, MASTER ACE, TREY D) • ROGGERS MASSON (MARILYN MANSON, TERAPLANE, SUPERFIX, REEVES GABRIELS, THE CRICKETS, PHIL CODY, THE HELLECASTERS, CHUCK E. WEISS, KEN BURNS, DAVE WAKELING) • RICK BRAUN • DUANE DECKER • CHIAT/DAY • NATIVE INSTRUMENTS • WAVES • CAKEWALK • HANK LINDERMAN • DIRECT RESONANCE • ESPN STUDIOS • XGAMES • WEXLER VIDEO • CHAS SANFORD/SECRET SOUND • JOHN KELLOGG (DOLBY LABS) • HARRIS BROADCAST • FOX STUDIOS • ROBERT IRVING MUSIC • LARSEN STUDIOS (“FRASIER”) • NBC • SONY PICTURES • GARY CHANG • KARMA STUDIOS • SERBAN GHENEA (LIZ PHAIR, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, BRITNEY SPEARS, JEWEL) • JON BON JOVI’S SANCTUARY STUDIO • ROLLING STONES • ROGER SANCHEZ (NO DOUBT) • SKYWALKER SOUND • LUCASARTS • DALLAS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA • VANCOUVER FILM SCHOOL • MUSICTECH COLLEGE • SYNCHRONICITY MUSIC • NICK BAZDORF • CALVARY CHAPEL • MATHEWS/GRIFFITH MUSIC • SRS • BRUCE KAPLER (“LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN”) • WILSHIRE STAGES • SPECTRUM STUDIOS • ERIC MILLER/WABEJON ENTERTAINMENT • KIRK YANO/PLANET TO PLANET • GUTTA KEYS RECORDS • DAVE SUSSMAN • SOUND SERVICES, INC. - and the list goes on and on...

So, I would say try them for yourself, compare them to others and then make your own decision. The SOS review is one review out of many possitive reviews... For more reviews www.abluesky.com/reviews

As a side note - Our design philosophy is executed by Rich Walborn, who designed 99% of the products that M&K released up to 2001 (2510P / S-150, MX-350, MX-5000, THX Select etc.). We use the absolute best tweeters (such as Vifa's XT-19 and XT-25), with custom designed mids / woofers, along with our own amplifier design and place those in highly reinforced, sealed MDF cabinets. We don't believe in using ports or passive radiators - www.abluesky.com/ports - because our goal is not just raw output, it is absolutely accurate output.

With regard to the noise comment - The noise should not be objectionable. If it is just hiss and becomes a objectionable problem, please let us know and we will see what we can do to improve the situation. The system does meet THX pm3 standards and should be similar to most other powered monitors.

If you are experiencing AC noise, I would recommend that you make sure all audio and video components are hooked up to the same electrical circuit and make sure that there are no ground loops. For more help regarding this, including cable wiring, please feel free to contact me directly. pascal@abluesky.com

Anyway, that is my take!

Sorry about the :spam: (if that is how it is perceived)...

Pascal Sijen
    Co-found Blue Sky International
    [​IMG]

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nothing to apologize for. It's always good to hear directly from manufacturers.

18. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Hi Pascal,

Like i said, I only hear the hiss when i'm near the speaker and NOT in the listening position which IS important.

This is my first listen to active speakers and was only curious.

Fantastic product. :D

Regards,

Steve.

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Make no mistake the blueskies are an amazing product.

20. fade

fade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I was looking at selling up my current speakers and getting bluesky actives (pro desk) for my front pair some time ago. But I just couldn't find a uk dealer that had them at a price anywhere near what they go for in america, especially with the current exchange rate magnifying the value difference. Always the UK way i guess :-/