1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluesky 6.5 THX Vs M & K

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hawklan, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ron,

I have the M&K 851's and have heard the Blue Sky's and would say that they are good and sound similar to the 851's but as long as you have good amplification i would not say that they are better! Just My Opinion :)

John

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi John

Thats reasuring

If I moved over to the Blue Sky's would I miss my tripole rears

Many thanks

RON

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Keep the tripole rears and just use actives on the front, would work very well:) btw Blueskies should comfortably outperform the 750s which are among the most edgey speakers I've ever heard. Of course I am biased as I'm selling some Blues;)

Ask Phil Hinton too, as he moved from M&K 750s to Mackie actives, which are very similar to the Blues...

5. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Matt

I was think of selling my Parasound and M&K setup and going Blue Sky all round (and maybe have some spare change) - If I keep the tripole rears I'll still need some form of amplification.

Regarding the edgyness of the 750's I've heard alot about that, but I must admit it's not something that I've really noticed

And yep your Blues are the reason why I'm posting here

Thanks for the response I'll drop Phil a PM, or Phil if you read this thread please feel free to let us know what you think

Many thanks

RON

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong Hawklan the BlueSky's are very good Active speakers and if you are thinking of going active then they would be a good choice, i was just giveing my opinion against my 851's. :)

John

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is often said that you should demo speakers before committing yourself, preferably in your own home. This is more important with Blue Sky than most other makes as it will allow you to sort out hype from reality and luckily the importers operate a 7 day home loan scheme without any obligation so that you can do just that.

The importers website are Sonic Distribution and their website is here

It may also surprise you to know that the cheapest place to buy them that I have found is at Moving Waves Audio here who also offer credit terms for those who are interested.

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ron.

Blue Sky 6.5 will comfortably outperform your M&K THX 750's.
    (And i include having a Parasound HCA-2205 on the end of them)

I've heard & owned both, so i'm in a better position than most to comment.
    There is no hype, the Blue Sky is an exceptional monitor for the money.

Adz

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Ron,
    I see that you are in Essex. If you can get to Rainham at any time in the near future you are more than welcome to come and have a demo of my Blue Skys, or as suggested by Ian J the free home demo from Sonic is a great idea.
    I can't comment on how they will compare to your M&Ks as I have never heard them, but I can say that the Blue Skys are great speakers. When John (recruit) came round to listen to my system he did comment on how similar they were to his M&Ks, but as he has already mentioned they were a different model.

If interested in the demo then drop me a PM or e-mail and we will see what we can arrange.

Mark.

10. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Guys

Thanks all of you for coming back to me
    I was almost set on staying with my M&K's but now I think a demo of the Blue Skys is an absolute must

In this regard Mark if you don't mind I would like to take you up on your kind offer - I'll Drop you a PM

I may well keep my Tripole rears as Matt recomended - Can you guys recomend a suitable amp to power just them?

Many thanks

RON

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Any time in the next couple of weeks is good for me as I'm off work at the moment.

I await your PM.

Mark.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron you won't be dissapointed Mark has awsome setup :thumbsup:

Enjoy :)

John

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Something like a Rotel 1070 would do the job nicely, I sold mine about a year ago for around £350...you can probably get them for £300 now...

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    "More important" than say M&K? Or any other speaker brand? :confused: Blueskies are hardly hyped here as in all honesty there's little in the way of information compared to most brands; there is some hype on some AV related message boards, but that's no different to other "brands" on here: in fact the popularity of Bluesky has spread through word of mouth, much like SVS really. Both provide a stunning level of performance for the price point.

As the recent Home Cinema magazine review stated:

First up to bat were the Bluesky speakers, simply because I was intrigued by the good stuff I'd heard about them. And it turns out the buzz is entirely justified: these are excellent little speakers.

After a day or two of running, the SAT 6.5s were fully bedded in and amazing me with their crisp clean delivery - agreed, they're not the most musical of speakers, being a little too analytical for some tastes (and many recordings) in a manner that reveals just how good they'd be as studio tools. But for movie soundtracks they're more than capable of raising an eyebrow, Roger Moore style, with the levels of information and involvement they can deliver. These are fast, dynamic and exciting speakers and, as with all of these Active monitors, the chances are you'll be amazed at how loud they can go with no sound of distress...

...Dialogue has a clarity that amazes on first exposure, and the sheer punch with which explosions, gunfire and the like are delivered is also a revelation...

:)

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sound on Sound also reviewed them here and concluded that they had a coloured mid-range sound, summarising them by saying :-

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Sound on Sound also say:

No-one's said these are the best speakers in the world Ian, but at their price point there's not alot out there to touch them for movies (and they make M&K look positively overpriced):)

17. abluesky

abluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope nobody minds me chiming in...

...I personally consider the SOS review an anomaly and I don't agree with the conclusions that are drawn in it (not surprising). I believe his opinion, is just that, it is not a statement of fact. Maybe he just prefers speakers that are more "in your face" or forward? Having said that, there are plenty of other reviewers that didn't draw this conclusion. However, at the end of the day, what is really important is what the end user thinks and how our systems perform in their studio or home theatre. (you can read more reviews here www.abluesky.com/reviews )

I also believe that our end user list strongly reflects the fact that not many agree with the SOS reviewer. Some of our latest end users include Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Talking Heads, ESPN, Autumn Hill Studios, Medley Studios, Granny Studios, Sun Studios and most notably Emil Berliner. For those of you that don't know, Emil Berliner Studios produce all classical DVD-A titles for Universal Music Classics & Jazz in the US (Deutsche Grammophon, Decca, Phillips) and most of the classical SACD's for Deutsche Grammophon, Decca and Phillips. SACD's of the artists "Rosenstolz" and "Schiller" were authored recently on our systems.

Also, as many of your already know, our systems are installed at Skywalker Sound, where over 50 of our systems are now in use. The latest project to be completed on them was The Polar Express. Dennis Leonard, Supervising Sound Effects Editor, did most of the pre-mix on our speakers, and one of our systems was also sent down to Robert Zemeckis, so that he could supervise the production of the soundtrack in LA, without having to travel to Skywalker Sound.

For those that are interested, we have another new - high profile - Blue Sky user - Tom Lord-Alge. Tom Lord-Alge has mixed recordings for such artists as Mick Jagger, Avril Lavigne, Blink 182, Steve Winwood, Marilyn Manson, Weezer and Dave Matthews, to name just a very few. He just completed his first surround mix, exclusively on our speakers, for Sarah McLachlan’s forthcoming CD/DVD release, Afterglow Live. This story should be up on our website soon... www.abluesky.com

So, are our speakers for everyone? No! Especially in a consumer application, there may be many other considerations and preferences that make our product less than suitable. Having said that, I certainly believe we have a very strong reputation for excellence and that does make our systems attractive to some percentage of home audio enthusiasts.

Sorry for the :spam:

Cheers!

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I think with such a list of top studio's and Recording artists useing you're speakers, that speaks for itself really!! :)

John

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Ron,
    I owned the M&K 750's and i could never listen to them for too long with music, they became very tiring even with good amplification. Imaging was a bit of a problem, but when set up right they were not that bad. For Movies they were really good.
    Changing to actives is the best thing I ever did, I recently heard the skies very briefly and they sounded very M&K in terms of high end, just not as tiring. The Mackies that I now own (HR624) are simply stunning. The imaging and detail is superb and the power on tap helps even at silly volumes. The midrange is slightly better than the skies, but only just, and they have an easy to listen to sound that is still very detailed, they are a little more expensive than the Skies, but they are the best speakers i have owned. Highly recommend you get a demo of the skies.

20. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Mark has very kindly offered to demo his system this weekend which I can't wait to hear

I must admit if I do move to actives I'll miss the M&Ks and the Parasound. I probably only listen to music 5% of the time (movies being my main vice) so the "edgyness" of the M&K's were never a problem for me - and for movies as you said the M&K's are great

Phil I assume that you had M&K Tripole rears (if so do you miss not having them) - Thats one of my reservations of moving away from them

Guys Many thanks for your advice and comments

RON

21. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Ron, I think it depends on your room to a degree, and how you "like" your sound. For me, I'm looking forward to getting tripoles on the rear (M&K K4s) as because of my current situation I have a small room and since I setup my kit in there the rears have been very close to me. So that "diffuse" sound will probably help widen the soundstage for me. In a larger room though, I'd still opt for monopoles:)

I'm thinking of withdrawing the Blues from sale until I do move and I can properly assess my needs (and the possibility of another dedicated room :devil: ). It doesn't help that several people keep trying to talk me out of going away from the Active route, as the amplification is obviously a big plus. Even if I do though, Adz is selling his front 3 Blues so you won't be left wanting if you do love the Blues (and if movies is 95% of your concern and you like you M&K 750s...well you ain't heard nothing yet:D ). I was finding the sound too tiring, but with the Tag going I've tried listening to 3.0 ( :eek: wish my sub and rears would hurry up:D ) on my AX5i and much of that harshness has gone. Bit difficult to tell though until I've got everything setup properly again:)

22. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

I'm is similar position to you as I will also be moving - Currently I have a reasonably large open plan room which is open to the upstairs - But I've no idea what my new house will provide so I'll probably keep my tripoles until I know what I will need

One thing I must point out is that one of the most appealling aspects that I like out of listening to AV is a sense of detail and ambience - I'm not really into having the sound cranked to until the rates leave home. How do the blue sky fit the bill in this regard?

I keep asking all these question even though I'll found out first hand in a couple of days (just like a little'un - I can't wait)

RON

23. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    The Blueskies are incredibly detailed, it's one thing they're renowned for:)

btw if you have broadband I have a 5mb PDF review of them if you want me to send it to you.

24. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Do I have broadband - Oh yes! - I couldn't be without it - Its totally changed the way I use the web

A pdf would be great I pm my email

RON

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you stick with some new M&K's then?

John

26. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi John

I might well do - But the active approach has me intriged
    I've been thinking about active M&K's but - WOW what a cost, so the Bluesky's are a cheap and apprarently very good performing alternative

RON