1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blueroom minipods - anyone heard them?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by taimur, Mar 13, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a picture of these on line (http://www.minipod.com) and a few reviews say they sound very good once they've been run in for several hours. They also look pretty smart. Has anyone ever heard these speakers to give an opinion on them?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Taimur,

StereoStereo and Loud and Clear are both dealers for Minipods. Last time I was in SS they had demo set. They are actually very good for their price, regardless of design. I like them.

Gordon

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their matching sub looks like a kettle drum, didn't realise they were available in colours other than blue though.

The Bluerooms are indeed a rare product, style and performance (although I haven't heard them) at a very reasonable price. I'd buy a pair just to look at them.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Gordon, when I heard these I was supprised at the fact that they're not just gimicky looking but sound quite good- I remember they had a wierd soundstage and give a very big image. The sub is called a bass station james and is a bit wierd, you're right:D

5. Alvin Aligator

Alvin Aligator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember seeing these in a magazine years and years ago. What price are they? I thought they were prohibitively expensive when they were first released but I can't remember their RRP :confused:.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  7. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. I think they're similarly priced to the Gallo Nucleus speakers, so it may be that I can compare these with the minipods at Stereo Stereo one day in the near future.

Since the original designers worked at B&W I'd also like to compare these speakers to the B&W VM1 speakers, but I'm not sure if SS hold these in stock.

I also like the look of the cherry Velodyne subwooker that Uncle Eric is about to power sell soon (can't remember the name of it!). I'm afraid I consider looks to be quite important as part of my setup - I know I'll be brandished a heathen by a few with that statement!

By the way, I'm still saving up for my proposed system (about half way there - 3 or 4 months left before the final decision, I think)! Then I'll save up for a plasma screen!

Taimur

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Ian and Myself listened to the VM's when I was still at SS. They were not as good as Gallo's. So SS chose not to stock them, wisely in my opinion. I was back in shop today and they had minipods on dem still as well as micro nucleous speakers.

There is nothing wrong with buying products for looks, if you want to look at them;)

Everything mustbe compromised you must choose what compromises you are most happy with. At SS we chose stock based on audio performance first and foremost so VM's were out!

Gordon

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

Stereo Stereo was going to close down for a while to get some building work done - I take it that's all completed now?

Taimur

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    No I was talking to them about that. The builders are coming in to arrange the date for the re-build beggining of next week. Shop showroom will be closed for 14-21 days I think soon for complete re-fit.

Gordon

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unbeatable have them up for £290 for a stereo pair, that makes them cheaper than the Gallos.

12. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price difference is so small and they both look so different to the small cuboid box shape of speakers (that I must admit I don't really like) that I think I'll be comparing them when I get my budget together and Stereo Stereo has its refurbishment.

Unfortunately, I don't think SS sells the Denon 3803, but I'm sure they'll be able to set up a system with a plasma screen so I can look for lip sync problems with a suitable DVD player and amp. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see NTL cable at the premises to look for lip sync problems, though.

Taimur