Blueray turning Sky signal off! Help!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mattsshaw, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mattsshaw

mattsshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    New to home cinema. I've set up my system as below with HDMI cables from Blueray/Sky to the amp, then amp to TV. When my Blueray goes into power saving mode it is turning the tv screen off (when viewing Sky through HDMI 2) - dvd is on HDMI1. The message I get on screen is that a Sky anytime + aerial signal cannot be found. I have turned off anytime plus since and it has not made any difference. They sky box light stays on green - so it is actually still on - seems like a switching problem? The sky box is stacked on top of the blueray with the amp to the side. If I turn the blueray back on, the signal comes back, any ideas?

My Kit:
    Yamaha RX-V671 Amp
    Sony BDPS570 Blue Ray
    Samsung UE40D6530 TV
    Sky+ HD Amstrad Box (1 yr old)

Thanks

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Sky Anytime + is a means of your Sky box using your internet connection to download VOD stuff. It has nothing to do with whether your Sky box is receiving a satellite signal or not, nor whether you can watch Sky planner entries or not. Are you also losing your satellite signal, or not?

Presumably when your Blu Ray box is shutting down it is killing your internet connection - does it need to be permanently connected to the internet? If not, disconnect it from your internet router and then whether it is on or off should not make a blind bit of difference to your Sky box's connection to your internet router. If you have turned off Anytime+ as well, disconnect your Sky box from your internet router too, and use it just for browsing and for email, not for Sky Anytime+ or Blu Ray updates. That way, whether your Blu Ray is on or off, and whether your Sky box is on or off, won't have any effect on each other at all.

BTW, as a side issue, having your Sky box connected to your amp purely via HDMI means that you are not taking advantage of the DD5.1 output that your Sky box is capable of. HDMI only carries PCM stereo. Connecting via optical or digital coaxial would give you access to full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when available.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. mattsshaw

mattsshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I was told that I needed to connect the TV via HDMI, and optical - from the TV to Amp - and this would give me 5.1 from my Sky. Is this wrong - would I be better going from optical as you suggest directly from Sky box to amp - what will the optical connection be labelled as on the amp?

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Yes, it is wrong.

No idea - but as you already have optical running from TV to amp, you've already identified it anyway, so you don't need anybody to tell you what it is labelled as. Just disconnect TV from this input on amp, and connect Sky box to it instead.

5. rikki2ks

rikki2ks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    My player also does this and is not connected to anything but the amp. When I power it down it automatically changes the tv channel and as I have no aerial plugged in it just gives the snowy grey screen.