Blueray for beginner

minineil

Hello

Just got my first 1080P 37" lcd tv:thumbsup::thumbsup: and want to move into the blueray world now.

have so quick questions (need help:lease:)

1...got £250 (whats a good one)
2.. some say upgradeable ?
3..best place to buy film from.
4. am i best to go for a region free one (can you get them)
5. is there any machines that you are best to leave alone :thumbsdow
6 been told it will player my old dvd's in a better picture (true or false)

thanks for any help.

Neil....:clap:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hello

Just got my first 1080P 37" lcd tv:thumbsup::thumbsup: and want to move into the blueray world now.

thanks for any help.

Hi minineil. :)
Popular choice at the moment is the Sony S350 :smashin: profile 2.0 upgrade is available now for this player. (region free for DVD here)
Another player is the Samsung 1500 which is well under your budget.
All the new BD players will upscale to 1080p. :thumbsup:
Movies.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Ralphy1981

PS3 wins for me.

It is profile 2.0, decodes HD audio and outputs via LPCM, can get one for £250, is a great upscaler of DVD's. Oh and did you know you can play games on it?!

Rod83

Standard Member
Hello

thanks for any help.

Hi :hiya:

I totally agree with kingfats and you can read about the s350 here:

http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/blu-ray-hd-dv d-players/sony-bdp-s350-460426/review?artc_pg=1

take care

minineil

Popular choice at the moment is the Sony S350 :smashin: profile 2.0 upgrade is available now for this player. (region free for DVD here)
Movies.
Cheers.

How do you upgrade and whats is (profile 2.0 )

Apart from the game side of it is the sony s350 better than the ps3 (picture etc etc)

minineil

will all blueray films work on the machine , off to the usa next year and will pick up films over there.

Is it still Region 1 region 2 on blueray like standard dvd.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
How do you upgrade and whats is (profile 2.0 )

Apart from the game side of it is the sony s350 better than the ps3 (picture etc etc)

Profile 2.0 the heads up. :D
Upgrade over the ethernet connection (PS3 wireless) or download file and burn to disc. :thumbsup:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Last edited by a moderator:

minineil

Movies.
Cheers.

BIG thanks to AV and Kingfats :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got the S350 yesterday from JL with a free 2 year warrenty :smashin:

God its a sexy machine :D

Just need to sort out the region free .

Thanks again

neil........:D

Happy Trucker

Hi Neil.

Glad you finally took the plunge. You shouldn't be disappointed in the S350. I hope no-one who's posted previously minds if I try to clarify a couple of things. Since you said this was your first venture into blu-ray, it's always possible to have an accidental misunderstanding.

1) Region free on this player is for 'normal' DVDs only. Region free blu-ray playback is, to all intents and purposes, impossible at this time on mainstream players.

2) If you buy movies from movietyme as recommended, make sure you only buy from the Region Free section. These are discs coded as Region A,B and C so will play anywhere. Another place I've used is dvd.co.uk - all blu-rays there will play in your UK machine and mostly they're reasonably priced.

3) If you upgrade the player to Profile 2 to use the BD-Live (online additional content) then you will need a USB memory stick to put in the back of the machine to store the downloaded content.

4) Enjoy your blu-rays or the blu-ray police will come and take them off you ;)

minineil

If you upgrade the player to Profile 2 to use the BD-Live (online additional content) then you will need a USB memory stick to put in the back of the machine to store the downloaded conten

what size usb memory stick do i need (make and model):lease: ebay please.

upscaler of DVD's (does it work automatic)

Do i need to do this profile 2 Thing straight the way and what does it do.

Thanks

Neil..:smashin:

Happy Trucker

The most commonly used ones seem to be either 'Sony Micro Vaults' or 'Kingston DataTraveller Slim' units. Just do an eBay / amazon search for 'micro vault' or 'kingtson slim'. Although I think any make will do. It's just that small ones stick out less at the back of the unit.

Most seem to be going for 4GB upwards, but even a 1GB will do you, it'll just fill up quicker.

Profile 2.0 isn't massively important ..... yet. It's biggest function at the moment seems to be to enable you to connect to the internet while loading/viewing a film and it will download additional material to your storage device. But since you won't be using the net functionality, it's not that important. When you do upgrade the firmware you'll get all the latest features, but just won't use them.

My US S350 isn't connected to the internet and for the time being I don't see any need to do so. However if you do decide to use it, you can use a gaming access point and plug it into the ethernet port on the player (if you have a wireless router of course). This would mean you don't have to get either a very long ethernet cable or keep carrying your unit up to your modem.

edit - not tried a standard DVD yet, but my assumption is that it will upscale a standard DVD to whatever setting you've set as the max resolution of your TV in the player's settings (720p/1080i/1080p)

Last edited:

minineil

Parents are off to the states next week,is it worth me getting film out there or do i run the risk of it not working.

Can i download the profile update onto disc and where from

Neil.... sony S350

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers