• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blue Velvet - Criterion

Roohster

Distinguished Member
My favourite Lynch film is getting the Criterion treatment in May :D

bv.jpg

Blue Velvet

• New 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both supervised by director David Lynch
  • Alternate original stereo soundtrack
  • “Blue Velvet” Revisited, a feature-length meditation on the making of the film by Peter Braatz, filmed on-set during the production
  • The Lost Footage, fifty-one minutes of deleted scenes and alternate takes assembled by Lynch
  • Mysteries of Love, a seventy-minute documentary from 2002 on the making of the film
  • Trailer

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Yeah this was mentioned on the other site a while ago! Thing is, the old Blu-ray had a very good transfer so I wonder how much better this will be? Or not? Criterion's aren't the end of in terms of Blu-ray transfers (contrary to popular belief!).

However, that "Lost Footage" stuff will certainly tempt me. Its just a shame they aren't taking the opportunity to release it in 4K.

What we really need of course is a decent transfer of Lost Highway...

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
The lost footage was on the previous US BD release.

I'll wait for the reviews. I love Blue Velvet but, as you say, Criterion encodes can be a bit hit and miss.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
My mistake - the 'Lost Footage' was on the previous blu-rays as well!

I still have my very nice French digibook from years ago. The old transfer was supervised by Lynch too apparently and had a 5.1 DTS MA track. So what exactly we are getting with this Criterion edition remains to be seen.

mark6226

Absolutely. It's already a vvg picture. There's not much more can be done with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom