• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blue screen when restarting Vista

Parklife

Every time I do a restart in Vista I get the blue screen which gives me no clue as to why and the computer will not start. Cannot even get into safe mode.

However if I shut down and turn the computer on then I have no issues.

This started after a restore from a disk image taken after a clean install. Gave up trying and reinstalled the lot but still getting the issue. After the fresh install all was OK until I think the windows update ran. Not sure what in the update would cause this!!

HELP!!

M3ZZR

Standard Member
Sometimes windows updates can provide newer drivers for some things in your computer, maybe its updated a driver for something and this is where the problem arises. Vista is pretty decent for detecting and logging problems, have a look in event viewer and see what is listed..

control panel > admin tools > event viewer

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Try re-installing again, but this time only download Windows Updates. Don't (better yet NEVER) download ANY driver dowloads from Windows Update.

Parklife

So if I can see a hardware driver installed is it possible to uninstall this update and apply the manufacturer driver? i.e. not reinstall the whole thing!

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Yes have a look in View update history within Windows update app at the list of previously installed driver updates. If it's Blue screening as soon as windows is booting it's more than likely a disk controller/chipset driver.

Parklife

Finally managed to sort this. Did another fresh install and installed all my drivers before connecting to the internet. Stoped update from installing any drivers and all appears to be ok.

Thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom