Blue Screen Trying to reinstall windows

leeboy1411

Novice Member
Hi guys

I posted this in the XP forums but I've had no luck there so I thought someone in here may know.

Im trying to Re-format my computer and install XP Pro SP3 on it, When I boot from the disc the drivers and system components load correctly however when I select the partition I want to delete I get a blue screen 'STOP' message. Before the Partition selection menu my monitor quickly goes off and adjusts itself so I thought it may be a Video adaptor issue however I've tried both PCI and AGP/Onboard with various memory settings but still no avail, I have also updated the bios as instructed in the blue screen.

Any Ideas

Liam

Boon72

whats the stop code? 0x0000007e etc

leeboy1411

Novice Member
yeah its a group of the following codes

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0C0000006,0X809054A5, 0XF72346EC, Ox00000000)

there's no mention of any failed devices or drivers just the above codes

Liam

Dasnipa

Novice Member
Sounds to me like a partition error, grab a copy of Hiren's boot CD from the net and run some diagnostics on the partition.

Are you upgrading or doing a fresh install, If your doing a fresh install, fdisk the partition and format this way.

Boon72

whats the spec of the pc?
are you overclocking anything?
how many sticks of ram to you have?

leeboy1411

Novice Member
PC Spec is

2003 HP Compaq Presario
80GB HDD (IDE)
768 MB RAM (one 256 and one 512)
Pentium 4 Processor

I've looked at the RAM and everything appears to be in order

Boon72

try with 1 stick in slot 0

chris_f

ideally you should not mix the RAM sizes, and 768 is a bit low, try buying a 1gb stick and putting that in the first slot, its very cheap now online.

FireKracker

Could be a memory issue try either stick but if that fails...

If you're in the process of reinstalling, either:
- use the utilities that your hard drive manufacturer has provided to run diagnostics on the drive
- use Hiren's BootDisk as somebody has mentioned to run diagnostics
- if all else fails, perform a low level format of the drive.

Hope that helps!

leeboy1411

Novice Member
Hi guys thanks for the responses

I've been running a few tests from the Ultimate boot CD and so far its found nothing memory wise.

Liam

Dasnipa

Novice Member
Have you run Partition Magic from Hiren's to confirm that the drive is sound.

Do you have a spare HD to try in it?

leeboy1411

Novice Member
yes I've ran that and the Hard Drive manufacturers own diagnostic software and both have found nothing wrong with the drive, the current operating system works fine but has a few issues hence the re-format, Im probably going to reformat the HD using one of the partiton software on the ultimate boot cd disc and then try and reinstall windows from the disk instead of re-formatting the drive using the XP CD

Liam

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom