Blue screen on miniDV tape

JTP

Standard Member
Reaction score
I had blue screen on a miniDV tape. I put another tape in and rewound it. Two sections of that second tape now have blue screen (aprox 5 minutes in the middle and the last 15 minutes).

When the image plays in after the middle 5 minutes of blue I get horizontal bars showing the last image played interlaced with the recorded image.

I can record and playback on the blue sections of tape so are these sections simply blank? is it possible to record on dirty tape and for that recorded section to playback ok? If the tape was still dirty in these sections surely I would contaminate the playback heads?

The initial tape with blue screen and all other tapes playback without issues.

It's been so long since I looked at these tapes I simply can't remember if sections of the tape were left blank.

I had blue screen on a miniDV tape. I put another tape in and rewound it. Two sections of that second tape now have blue screen (aprox 5 minutes in the middle and the last 15 minutes).

When the image plays in after the middle 5 minutes of blue I get horizontal bars showing the last image played interlaced with the recorded image.

I can record and playback on the blue sections of tape so are these sections simply blank? is it possible to record on dirty tape and for that recorded section to playback ok? If the tape was still dirty in these sections surely I would contaminate the playback heads?

The initial tape with blue screen and all other tapes playback without issues.

It's been so long since I looked at these tapes I simply can't remember if sections of the tape were left blank.

It sounds odd but worth trying a cleaning tape.Also if yuo could get hold of another cam to try them in would tell you if the tapes are the problem.

I never experienced that with 300 edited min dv tapes and heaven knows how many in total.

Last edited:
Some mini DV tapes shed oxide if not stored well. This clogs the head and causes drop out.

If you suspect this tape is going faulty, stop using it and transfer off anything you need, as it will get worse and worse.

Of course, if it is simply blank, there will not be an issue!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom