1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Ray - HD DVD War

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Stellavision, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    While the speculation goes on that there can be only one winner in the Blue Ray / HD DVD war, an article has been released to suggest a possible merge.
    However, the two formats use different technology and a format merge could set them back a long time, so I can't see it happening.
    HD DVD is set to hit the shelves by christmas while Blue Ray won't be on the shelves until early 2006, so will this give Toshiba's HD DVD the advantage?

AVS have just written out an article on the war, taken from The Wall Street Journal. Check it out at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=530557

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    An interesting read. I can't see the formats being merged until both have at least tried to conquer the markets themselves.

3. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    think sony will be bricking it if HD-DVD gets out before christmas.
    Personally i hope HD-DVD wins the battle. Apart from the extra storage capacity of blu-ray what other benefits will it have? A Dual layered HD-DVD will be more than adequate when used with the mpeg4-esque codecs.

Blu-ray = the Betamax of the 21st Century :clap:

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    I think HD-DVD may well win the battle as well.

A head start on BR as cheaper costs in production as well shuold give it the jump on BR.

Unless BR turns out to be significantly superior (in av terms) then I can't see it becoming the winner.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    think sony will be bricking it if HD-DVD gets out before christmas.

Only if there's any HDVDs to buy to play on it, and that remains to be seen!
    BluRay itself cannot be far behind - and they do have a few aces-up-the-sleeve, for one Sony Pictures! After the MGM deal, Sony will control the largest movie library in the world - and I suspect they won't be in a hurry to support HDVD!
    The other ace is of course the next Playstation (3?), rumoured to be a BluRay machine!

Sony may well have learned it's lessons over Betamax and SACD - I wouldn't bet against BluRay just yet.

6. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will there be players that are going to beboth compatalewith blu ray and hd dvd?

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No. The dvd's will be burned in different ways which will rely on different technologies to read them.

8. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    They had better be careful not to let it drag too long. Even a measly single layer DVD can carry 75 minutes of HD at 8Mb/s and 100 minutes slightly overcompressed at 6Mb/s. A double layer DVD would multiply those numbers by 1.8.

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Samsung have announced that they will produce a dual standard device.

Apple are backing BluRay - there are rumours that BluRay SuperDrives may be supported by their new G5s (Apple were one of the first companies to ship DVD-R burners ISTR)

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I still cant see how they would merge to 2 technologies. Being so fundamentaly different, the only thing i can see are hardware makers just making players capable of playing both formats.

Still. If they could get the benefits from the 2 formats into one, that would be ideal.
    BR being the larger capacity with a possible 100gb (4layer), and HD-DVD with its cheap manufacturing being on the same system as DVD's process.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Without going into too much detail/depth about the two blue laser based formats and which is better I know that for me it has to be recordable from launch with none of this waiting for a couple of years like with did with DVD recordable.

I don't know how all the parties concerned will handle optical recording of HD material in regards to the use of HDCP etc (no recording, record once, view on recording device only...) but there has to be a portable storage medium for such material unlike SD broadcasts which for me at least are handled fine by a hard drive based device.

12. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.eet.com/news/latest/show...d=HT1FCQ2ODXYU4QSNDBESKHA?articleID=160901475

Seems they kind of merge but it will be more on the production side of things than of getting to one standard for consumers.

The data on both formats seem to be the same (video in mpeg2/4 or I264 and audio PCM, DD (Plus) or DTS (HD)). Only the interactive data is still different. Now they are looking if they can get to using one system. All this is to make it easier/cheaper for hardware and software producers.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Notice in that article how they say that with Blu Ray it will be possible to "download" other languages or subtitles. This could mean that an internet conection would be necesary to use the player, which could give way to the type of protection I fear the most.
    If we need to conect our players to the net just to play a disk, it could defeat the format. It would mean that we wouldnt be able to play disks on players from other countries similar to that T2 WM9 edition.

14. HighDeff

HighDeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/4

Very interesting article i think, gives a clear detailled view on both formats. Hd-dvd will clearly be cheaper at the start, and quoting from the article:

Storage capacity

This is a definite plus for Blu-ray....

On the other hand, we have to add that the high storage capacities that BD offers are not really a must for recording high definition content. This is because of new compression technologies, such as MPEG-4 AVC, which makes it possible to produce high quality content at lower bit rates without a visible loss of quality. With this advanced codec technology, it is possible to store 8 hours of high definition video on a 30GB HD-DVD. For the moment, this is enough to store the movie and all the extras.

This means only people for backupping would probably prefer blue ray, but for the movie industry and the "normal" consumer it wouldn't be important at all. I can now imagine why sony wants to come together so suddenly....

16. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is in my eyes bad new,

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11655
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186/3

How far are they going to go to prevent copying?

" This blacklisting of a single player model is quite powerful and can slow down mass piracy, but on the other hand it can also have some significant drawbacks for legitimate consumers. For instance, you could one day suddenly be unable to watch new movies on your player because it has been revoked after someone has successfully compromised this model. Practical use (as well as explanations to future customers) of this new revocation system will be very interesting to watch. "

17. HighDeff

HighDeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone explain this to me in laymans terms as i am not sure i understand this whole copy protection thing.

19. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    With the protection, imcompatibilities and cost, I personally think neither will take off and will become the new LaserDiscs/MiniDiscs/BetaMax...

Too many people (the people that drive the market) have _recently_ adopted DVD and will not change again so soon. The world isn't driven by us AV-nuts ;)

Also DVD deserves to be around MUCH longer, the HUGE leap that was VHS and VCD to DVD warrants a much longer adoption, at least IMHO.

20. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    But HD DVD will go hand in hand with HDTV.

I think little is known by the average consumer about HDTV in this country.
    To suggest HD DVD will flop could also suggest that so will HDTV, but judging by it's increasing popularity overseas I can't see it not taking off here as well.