Blue/Purple Lines

SBM Wizard

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a 58" Samsung Plasma TV and recently i have noticed that on light colored screens (full white shows the effect worse than any others), there are blue/purple horizontal lines on the screen they don't cover the whole screen and don't follow any discernible pattern, i have no idea what could be causing this, also when in the menu screens for the TV the problem disappears, adjusting certain settings can lessen the effect but not completely has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 58" Samsung Plasma TV and recently i have noticed that on light colored screens (full white shows the effect worse than any others), there are blue/purple horizontal lines on the screen they don't cover the whole screen and don't follow any discernible pattern, i have no idea what could be causing this, also when in the menu screens for the TV the problem disappears, adjusting certain settings can lessen the effect but not completely has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the forum.:)
Can you post a picture of this? I have an idea but without seeing it I'm likely wrong as its quite rare.

I have attached two files one with the problem and one when the menu is up and the problem has gone. The image that is displaying on the TV is just a pure white screen. I have a much higher resolution image but i was unable to upload anything above VGA quality. Thanks for you help with this.

Attachments

• Blue Lines.JPG
    Blue Lines.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Menu Up No Lines.JPG
    Menu Up No Lines.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 313
This looks like a common fault with the 2010 Samsungs (you did not mention model, but I assume it's PS58C-something). So far, the only cure I know for this has been panel replacement. Some have reported some limited success after having the TV re-adjusted by a service technician, but would shortly after return to the same state again. Reason you don't always see it is because the variance of the luminance in your picture.

There's been a whole lot who had a panel change on their 2010 Samsungs in Norway the past weeks. All showing the same problem as yours.

Yeah the model number is PN58C500 it is about 13 - 14 months old. I live in the states any idea how much a panel replacement would run me and isn't that just gonna screw up again in a year, aren't I better off buying a new TV? What a pain, you pay out the but for a TV and then this happens.

Yeah the model number is PN58C500 it is about 13 - 14 months old. I live in the states any idea how much a panel replacement would run me and isn't that just gonna screw up again in a year, aren't I better off buying a new TV? What a pain, you pay out the but for a TV and then this happens.

In Norway the unhappy owners got it covered by Samsung. Worth trying out before buying a new tv? If they were unable to replace the panel, a full refund was given.

Mine is outside the warranty though how would i even begin to get them to give it me for free?

SBM Wizard said:
Mine is outside the warranty though how would i even begin to get them to give it me for free?

Contact Samsung if in the past they have said this is a fault there aware off then they may just do a free repair. But im not sure of US consumer laws.

What the guys above say:) we have consumer rights in the UK that cover us up to 6 years on some products, worth checking for a US equivalent. Let us know how you get on.

will do i will check the specifics of the warranty and try and sort it out thanks everyone for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom