Blue Origin first passenger flight

So you’re suggesting that all the R&D, testing and production is carbon neutral ?

Did I ever suggest that? No. Not sure what your point is here.

Anyway, how is a rocket going into space right here and now the start of the future ?

SpaceX is the one to watch, but the technology being used could be used for faster transportation on Earth later this decade, not just for the space race.

SpaceX is the one to watch, but the technology being used could be used for faster transportation on Earth later this decade, not just for the space race.
Yeah, SpaceX is by far the most interesting.

So you’re suggesting that all the R&D, testing and production is carbon neutral ?

Anyway, how is a rocket going into space right here and now the start of the future ?

i’m sure this has been done a long time ago…..

l grew up with the original space race and I’m really, really disappointed in how it panned out, as our species always seem to prefer wars rather than investing in space exploration ?

Not a criticism, but I’m guessing that a lot of people here are relatively young and still full of hope……

I’m not sure I‘m keen on the Idea that Amazon may be effectively hoping to colonise space as well as earth 😁
Well someone needs to make sure those packages arrive at space stations the next day ;).

My point is that folk today seem easily impressed when we create things that are clean and efficient whilst ignoring the vast amounts of energy used in creating the hardwear in the first place.

Maybe none of us here, but how many folk hate meat right now and then go and swap technological devices like the weather ?

Oh dear, he totally misjudged that thanking Amazon workers and customers for paying for the flight.

My point is that folk today seem easily impressed when we create things that are clean and efficient whilst ignoring the vast amounts of energy used in creating the hardwear in the first place.

Maybe none of us here, but how many folk hate meat right now and then go and swap technological devices like the weather ?
R and D is a one time effort compared to making thousands of trips potentially.

Bit underwhelmed here…

Okay, so some reasonably well-off folk went to space and I might be wrong, but hasn’t this kind of thing been done before ? Or was the real story that we’ve all paid for this monthly ?

What pollutes the planet the most ? This little rocket or the millions of journeys made by Amazon’s vans ?

Needs to be a bit more than just straight up and down for me……
Everyone has to start somewhere. They have been on working on New Glenn which is near Saturn 5 in size and reusable.

Anybody with pollution questions should probably start here,

9C57B2FD-8054-4AB9-B27A-DBD741D8B883.jpeg

Oh dear, he totally misjudged that thanking Amazon workers and customers for paying for the flight.
Perhaps it's just the shocking honesty that people can't cope with? ;)

We're so used to billionaires acting as if all that wealth they have magically appears because they are god-like beings who apparently work far harder than anyone else, rather than due to all the workers and customers who enable it.

Perhaps it's just the shocking honesty that people can't cope with? ;)

We're so used to billionaires acting as if all that wealth they have magically appears because they are god-like beings who apparently work far harder than anyone else, rather than due to all the workers and customers who enable it.
I don't think so but generally people don't like having it rubbed in their face that their money was used by somebody else. And Amazon employment has been an issue for a while rightly or wrongly.

I don't think so but generally people don't like having it rubbed in their face that their money was used by somebody else. And Amazon employment has been an issue for a while rightly or wrongly.
Wait until they find out he's having a yacht built that has a baby yacht following it about with a helipad on it. Perhaps they won't care as long as he doesn't thank them for paying for it?

Surely it shouldn't be up to the US government to decide who is and who isn't an astronaut? Perhaps there should be an international space organisation instead who could tell Branson and Bezos to bugger off?

I think it's just because they don't like giving wings to billionaires and it's only going to get worse once they start transporting more of them up there. I mean, these guys already think they're god-like, so giving them wings too is just stroking their egos.

Surely it shouldn't be up to the US government to decide who is and who isn't an astronaut? Perhaps there should be an international space organisation instead who could tell Branson and Bezos to bugger off?

I think it's just because they don't like giving wings to billionaires and it's only going to get worse once they start transporting more of them up there. I mean, these guys already think they're god-like, so giving them wings too is just stroking their egos.
Yeah I agree with you, Team America: World Police springs to mind. That being said, I do agree with them though, I mean a ride on a speedboat wouldn't make you a sailor.

Yeah I agree with you, Team America: World Police springs to mind. That being said, I do agree with them though, I mean a ride on a speedboat wouldn't make you a sailor.
Especially if you're just a passenger on the speedboat!

Well given Beardy Branson only managed to get to 80 odd kms they specifically used the US NASA recognised qualifying altitude for space.

I've always understood it to be 100kms which is the Karmen Line I think.

Otherwise it's just making stuff up.

Well given Beardy Branson only managed to get to 80 odd kms they specifically used the US NASA recognised qualifying altitude for space.

I've always understood it to be 100kms which is the Karmen Line I think.

Otherwise it's just making stuff up.
It's going to hurt his company if all those rich folk playing astronaut don't get wings. I guess he'll soon see how important that is to them.

Personally, if I had the money (and could pass whatever medical they have to pass, which is unlikely) I'd go with Blue Origin as it's got bigger windows and the pun material on the shape alone is so much higher. Plus it's an actual rocket.

It's going to hurt his company if all those rich folk playing astronaut don't get wings. I guess he'll soon see how important that is to them.

Personally, if I had the money (and could pass whatever medical they have to pass, which is unlikely) I'd go with Blue Origin as it's got bigger windows and the pun material on the shape alone is so much higher. Plus it's an actual rocket.
I can imagine the first passengers are a tad annoyed.

I agree at least Blue Origin is a traditional rocket and managed to get above the Karmen Line.

Its all a massive vanity/ego thing as its not really much difference to going on something like the vomit comet and once you're above the cloud level on a normal jet you can see the curvature of the earth.

How many NASA astronauts would have to be excluded because of the change to FAA rules? The Mercury 7 astronauts were passengers in their capsule.

How many NASA astronauts would have to be excluded because of the change to FAA rules? The Mercury 7 astronauts were passengers in their capsule.
I think (please correct me if wrong) the Mercury 7 mission was a test to check if humans could survive space flight. It could, maybe quite loosely, be argued that being a passenger on the mission does still meet the criteria of "contributed to human space flight safety".

I think (please correct me if wrong) the Mercury 7 mission was a test to check if humans could survive space flight. It could, maybe quite loosely, be argued that being a passenger on the mission does still meet the criteria of "contributed to human space flight safety".
Yep, they'd certainly count as pioneers, which should be more than enough justification for them to be treated differently.

A paying passenger, on the other hand, is not a pioneer. As a tourism service you'd expect those flights to be as safe as something like that can be. The only reason the billionaires went up without a few more test flights was because they were trying to be each other into space and rushed things. Fortunately for them it worked out.

(Getting on my high horse so apologies in advance!)

Y’know, I adore everything to do with space. It is a dream to see Earth from the stars. I still look up and imagine the possibilities. I rejoice in the idealistic future of Star Trek, where a united hunanity strives to live in peace in a Federation of mutleiple species. I shed a tear when I watched Branson’s Unity craft leave the atmosphere, such is the power of the imagination of space.

But then I realise how absurd I am being. We are living in an age when three of the wealthiest people are having their own private space race (one of whom, by the way, asked for a financial helping hand at the start of the pandemic.) Call me cynical, but this isn’t about hunanity being some thing greater, actually this is revealing the worst of humanity. It’s three men with the power to do good, and using it to only benefit themselves and the wealthiest.

In fact, absurd is the wrong word. I’d describe as evil: it’s an evil of neglect, of wanton single minded and self fulfilling fantasy. The amount of good the millions that have been spent on this could be done here on Earth. It is abhorrent when more than half the world live in poverty, when there are STILL children going to bed hungry each night, when inequality continues to be rampant. That this is being celebrated shows how far we still have to go.

And I’m angry at my own hypocrisy because what do I do when I need something quickly? I buy from Amazon and this contribute to the problem (I’m really trying hard to use alternative sources, honest!)

Ultimately it’s all about choice. Do they choose to use their power for good? Or do they do for selfishness? Do I use my power of choice for good? Or for selfishness and the betterment of myself?

Anyway, rant over. I feel better now
You think the Japanese Bullet train would come before the early steam pioneers?

These things lead to the data/tech/cost reduction to ultimately make humans colonising the outer planets and then beyond possible.

This one uses hydrogen/oxygen so non-polluting and way to go for moon base with frozen water.

You think the Japanese Bullet train would come before the early steam pioneers?

These things lead to the data/tech/cost reduction to ultimately make humans colonising the outer planets and then beyond possible.

This one uses hydrogen/oxygen so non-polluting and way to go for moon base with frozen water.
Sorry, just to clarify it uses methane / oxygen. Methane is potentially minable on Mars.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom