Blue mist patches PT-AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simonsays, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Simonsays

Simonsays

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, (brief history)

I have a PTAE 700 projector, bought May 2005, first bulb went after 500hours (poor luck unfortunately) second is doing just fine.

Projector is fantastic won't go back to tv now.

But....

Over that past few days I have noticed that when I have a light background image there are visible patches on the image being projected. These look like smudges but are blueish in colour. I have examined the lens and there does seem to be dust contamination but not sufficient to cause the effects I am seeing on screen. Of course there may be dust on the lcd screen itself but how do I know?

I am reluctant to send the projector back at the moment of there is a fix I can do myself.

This appears on inputs from the three sources I have connected via SCART to the projector but I have not yet tried an alternative cabling method to see if this is a noise issue.

unfortunately now I know its there I can see it all the time, the wife didn't notice till I pointed it out and says it doesn't affect her but I strive for perfection.

any comments help greatly appreciated

regards

Simon

2. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just noticed this post, and I have the exact same problem. Ever since I got skyHD, the blue mist started and has gradually got worse & worse, and now 75% of the picture is blue, and basically unwatchable. Tried a new bulb to no avail. I took it to my authorised Panasonic repairer, who said the LCD panel needed replacing, which panasonic had quoted would cost £500 !!! I am assuming that the problem starting after skyHD being connected is just a coincidence....???

For a projector less than 2 years old, this is needless to say astonishingly dissappointing.

As you can now buy the ptae900 for £850, there is no point in getting this repair carried out. So basically in this case the bulb outlasted the projector.

I have heard good things about the ptae900, but I'll be getting an extended 3 year warranty this time.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

3. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Well i had patches on red. This could just be dust across the panel like mine was. Also try to de-focus the lens on red green and blue and see if you can make it worse. I done this and it showed the dust blobs were in the lens. But by the sounds of it you either have dust on one of the panels or they are burnt.
    If you want to know how i fixed mine check the AE700 dust blob removal post. I didnt take pics of the actual dust patches and blobs but i was amazed at what i found and how easy it was to fix.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165188

btw
    Did the repair shop open it up or just switch it on to diagnose the problem?

4. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. I cleaned the pj regularly to get rid of dust, so this was not the issue. if you saw the pictures my projector was creating you would see the issue not dust...

The shop did do a thorough inspection - it is the fact that such a major part lasted such a relatively short period ot time, and is so expensive to replace that really #@[email protected]# me off.

5. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Out of interest what was the number your "TEMP1" got to for normal running.
    Mine sits at 139-144 depending on ambient temp. But was getting to 136 in the hot weather so i stopped using it for a few months.
    My unit is March 05 manufacture and has 1150 hours on 1st bulb. (touch wood)
    Realy is anoying that some people dont get much life out of these units. Whats the total number of hours yours has clocked up?

6. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TEMP1 = 120-121
    TEMP2 = 162-163

Mine bought in November 2004, about 3000 hours total useage in 'LOW' lamp mode. I have never used 'High' lamp mode.

I too am a tad miffed that my pj has lasted less than 2 years.

7. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Well your Temp1 seems high to me and maybe the cause. The lower the number the hotter. My Temp2 is usualy 165-170.
    Ive always had the fan control in High mode and low lamp. Be interesting to kow other peoples Temps and thier problems. Surely you could get just the panel needed to fix your problem and not the whole assembly?

8. broomthundle

broomthundle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what the temp readings mean, and the fan is on auto - so should look after itself. Having had the pj on all afternoon, TEMP1 has gone up to 129-130. but rest assured I'll have high fan and low bulb on my next one...

My house is not particuarly warm, but like you I can only imagine that it's the temperature that's caused the problem. the blue panel - which is the problem one - is the one closest to the bulb, and furthest into the interior of the pj. Hmmm, let's hope the 900 fares better.

The interesting thing is this problem only started when I got sky HD, feeding my pj through HDMI. Before that, no problems at all. Coincidence....... ????

Panasonic say they whole assembly must be replaced, and that the individual panels can't be replaced seperately - now there's a surprise...

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    These are the exact issues that caused me to ditch panasonic pj's and move to sanyo. I went through 4 panny pj's in as many years, very poor lifespan for something that costs £1200-£1500.:thumbsdow

I eventually stopped using my pj as a primary display and bought a plasma to take some of the load off, Ive only just hit 400hrs on my Z4 and I've had it nearly 12 months, should last ages at this rate.:smashin: