1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue haze on LCD?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarkHudds, Jan 6, 2003.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

When my LCD projector is showing a completely black screen, or a very dark scene in a film, there's a part of the picture at the top right which looks like a dark blue 'haze'. The effect is about 6" in diameter and is roughly circular.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks

2. Jim v2.0

Jim v2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of replacing my new Sanyo Z1 because of the same issue. The haze on mine is caused because of a number of pixels stuck in the partially on position.

My mate has had the same issue with two Sanyos in a row now. Anyone else got this problem on the Z1?

3. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Could it maybe be a dust blob? These can be fairly large and usually blue or green. Defocus the projector and if the blob comes in to focus it will probably be dust on the panel.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already had one replacement. Today I'm going for my second.

Graham,

I see a few fairly large blobs. When I unfocus I get what looks like a group of pixels (or maybe dust particles).

Any idea how I can clean?

It sounds like a design flaw to me. I don't want a projector I have to unscrew every week to clean!

What do you think the filter filters if it's not dirt?

Jus.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    If it's diffuse when the PJ is properly focused, and can be made sharp if you defocus it in one direction or the other - it is almost certainly one or more dust particles on one or more of the LCD panels.

The PJ needs to be partly dismantled and an aerosol blower (get one from Maplins) used to blow the dust off the LCD panels.

On the Sony VWx series, it is literally a 10 minute job, and usually wholly effective.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great news. I think.....

I'm keen to keep the projector as I think it's pretty damn good for the money, so I'm happy to find out it's not a hardware failure. I really don't mind having to give it a clean every few weeks if it's a quick job. I am a bit worried about taking the lid off and invalidating my warranty though.

Jus.

7. Jim v2.0

Jim v2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems unreasonable to me to have to go through the process of cleaning the projector every week. If the Sanyo clogs up with dust within a week of normal use then this seems to me to be a big design flaw and makes the projector impractical. I know some manufacturers produce enclosed optics but cannot remember who they are.

Is there an easy way yto clean the machine without opening it?

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Sounds like dust not dodgey pixels. What projector do you have? Removing dust blobs involves opening the projector and blowing around the LCD panels and lense with a can of compressed air, (get this in a camera shop) Perhaps some one here with the same projector can tell u the process

Conor

9. dodgydel

dodgydel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont want to panic you but I also have a blue haze on my pj, took it back to Sony and they said the opticle box was knackered!if it is you might as well bin it (£1800 repair).

10. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think it's dust particles as I've had this before on previous projectors and its not the same. Additionally you can't focus on it individually, its part of the projected image.

The projector is a 1 week old VPL-VW12HT (from pricejapan), so I'm currently email Kaneda to get it back for replacement. Fortunately I paid for the "shipping back option" so it shouldn't be too much hassle.

Apart from this problem, I can confirm that the 12HT gives a fantastic picture out of the box.

Oh well, here's hoping for a quick turnaround by DHL!!!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I slid out the filter and blew into there. No luck.

Took the bulb out and blowing in there. I thought that would do it and was surprised it didn't so I tried a few times. None of the dots disappeared or even moved :confused:

I'm waiting for my supplier to get back to me. I'll let you know what he said.

Bit of a design flaw if this happens within a couple of weeks of own it !

Jus.

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hope you didn't litterly blow with your mouth, you could end up putting droplets of water on the optics or lcd panels. If you get a can of compressed air you are best doing a test shot on paper, holding the can vertical and not to close, just make sure only air comes out and not water.

I now also have a small dust blob at the top of the image which I only see on the black border on 2.35:1 films.
    I will leave it for now as it doesn't bother me.
    Panasonic AE100 owner.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a camera lens blow thing.

14. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check this out!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Having performed some more investigations into my 'blue haze' I defocused to the full extent in 1 direction and as well as seeing dust particles, the blue haze turns in to a 'L' shaped line about 15 cm in length!!!!

http://www.mhalton.btinternet.co.uk/blueline.jpg

This looks like a 'gash' in the blue LCD panel????

I'm emailing this picture to pricejapan now so I'll be boxing the projector up tonight in preperation for a DHL pickup :(

At least I'm not going mad I've found that there is something definately faulty :D

15. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    That looks like a dust particle (a small thread). It is just possible, I suppose, that it's a scratch or similar mark. But I'd put my money on a small fibre lodged in the optics.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried blowing into every vent. I even took out the lamp and blew into there. The dust didn't move or disappear.

I have a replacement projector on it's way. Sanyo are saying they haven't had any complaints. They believe it is caused by dust introduced during the production process. I'm not too convinced. One more try. If the new proj does the same I'll try and swap it for a different make....shame. Picture is brilliant.

Jus.