Blue fringes to white areas (Epson TW6700)

RobMeades

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just bought an Epson TW6700 projector to replace my old TW3500. The new projector is showing distinct blue fringing around white areas in the image, see picture below. I didn't get this fringing with ye olde TW3500. I've tried panel alignment but that just makes the blue fringe move around, it doesn't make it go away.

Is there some way I can adjust this out, should I consider it "normal" or should I get the projector replaced?

blue_fringes.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a panel or lcd alignment option in the menus? This may help but wouldn’t go too mad unless you’re confident on what you’re doing.

There is a panel [LCD] alignment option but all it seems to do is move the blue fringe around, the fringe remains visible it never "merges" back into the white.

I take it you’re adjusting the blue not the red?

To me they both look out slightly, on my JVC you can adjust pixel at a time and once at the best you can get (quite often nothing needed) you can go to fine adjustment, which moves them by less than one pixel. Many say per pixel is enough and do t bother with fine, but I do as am OCD, however if you can’t adjust it finer than you need / can see then maybe don’t worry. As with most of these things, the things you obsess about whilst standing at the screen looking at static images, in reality can’t be seen once sat 3m away watching a moving picture. Yes you want it the best you can get it, but if it is set to the best it can be, if it’s not perfect sometimes it’s not worth worrying about as can’t be seen it normal real viewing...

Yes, I think you're right: it was my son who spotted it originally as he spends a looooong time playing games with that screen and so would notice. Hence I got him, with his youthful eyesight, to go through the detailed adjustment and he is now happy. He says the new projector appears more pixelated than the old (though both are 1080p) but the colours are more vibrant on the TW6700, which might be why it appears more pixelated.

I will declare myself happy with it and get on with life :).

A definite convergence misalignment.
You should be able to reduce that by spending some time on it.
There is a mauve fringe at the top and a bluish fringe on the left. So adjustment will not be in just one direction.

It does take time and patience!

chromatic aberration.. Typical to cheap lenses.

If you can reduce/remove CA on cameras by stopping down, can you adjust the iris on the projector to remove it?

If you can reduce/remove CA on cameras by stopping down, can you adjust the iris on the projector to remove it?
The iris is to adjust to your desired lightoutput, most projectors have CA, more or less, and cheap entry level projectors likely much more than the more expensive hi end projectors.

I had the Epson EH-TW6700 projector for a while, did not notice Blue Fringes to White areas, I did not mess around with the settings too much, as I thought it gave a Great picture without adjusting much

The iris is to adjust to your desired lightoutput, most projectors have CA, more or less, and cheap entry level projectors likely much more than the more expensive hi end projectors.
Yes but the same theory from cameras to PJs with regards lens should carry through if it all works in a similar way. I know a cheaper lens is more susceptible, but I think there’s more than one contributing factor. Same goes in that you'll be more likely to get a worse picture if using the lens at either extreme of the zoom and I also suspect lens shift...

Yes but the same theory from cameras to PJs with regards lens should carry through if it all works in a similar way. I know a cheaper lens is more susceptible, but I think there’s more than one contributing factor. Same goes in that you'll be more likely to get a worse picture if using the lens at either extreme of the zoom and I also suspect lens shift...
Try it out see what happens, unfortunatly the projector normaly have to be where it have to be due to room infrastructure, and the iris set where the lightoutput matches the desired output, wich make it a bit dificoult to optimize a projectors CA, it is what it is where it is, and its present on all the single lens projectors i ever seen to some degree.

Yes agree, although maybe in an instance where someone is planning a room or equipment layout the factor of using the lenses sweet spot may come into play if you have more than one choice, but understand that’s probably a bit of an edge case scenario..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom