Blu

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ammar, Aug 20, 2004.

1. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Have u seen this?

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre700/dmre700.htm

I had to be removed from the scene by men in white coats! Why cant we have this in the UK?!?! I know its for HD but who's to say one cant use it for regular mere mortal stuff, frustrating.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hmm...I still don't see any digital video inputs or outputs, and only one digital audio output. They're going to have to do better than that on future Blu-ray and HD-DVD machines.

Steve

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Is it just me, or does it look like there's a tv screen rising out of the dvd player!? ugly, expensive, but impressive technology. Recordable from the beggining and dual layer to boot. 50GB seems huge compared to todays 4.7GB ram disks. £40 doesn't seem too bad compared to the initial £20 for ram disks, or the £20 some people paid for blank video tapes when they first came out in the late 70's. Though psychologically it seems a lot to pay for just 1 disc. Hopefully that will be reduced to £20 when it's relesased in the UK.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Just as a note it doesn't need Digital Video inputs (although of course they would always be nice) because the model has an inbuilt high def compatible digital tuner enabling owners to make lossless recordings.

The recorder needs to be huge because it uses a two laser system as opposed to a single tri-wavelength lasers of future products. The Sony model, seen here, is just as large for the same reason.

If you want a real laugh as some prototype BluRay recorders have alook here. The Hitachi looks like an atomic powered toaster, the Pioneer could be mistaken for a UFO, Philips have used a DVDR1000 look alike case (get a extended warranty there then) and the Sharp looks like a type-writer! The others are competing for brick of the week award. Needless to say the design departments may interfere before these all become seriously commercially available.

Of course we all remember that the DVDR1000, E20 and DVDR7000 looked 'large' when they first arrived....and look at them now.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Apart from their size I quite like the minimilist look of the Jvc and Sony.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    I agree the Sony looks quite nice - but the JVC looks like it's trying to match a photocopier?!? Each to their own I suppose.