Blu-ray

Jonesthegas

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read some articles on this next gen DVD technology. Does anyone know if they intend to repeat the nonsense of regional coding or learn a lesson and forget it altogether? Has Hollywood gained anything from regional coding?

Martin

Not sure about that but theycertainly havent learnt anything about format wars!!!!

The big threat is whether they do what Microsoft were going with; machine specific record and playback. Dvd's arrival and compromise at the hands of dvd writers will no doubt make Hollywood more ferocious with Blu-ray. There has already been reports of the above suggested but whether they will settle for less is a wait and see scenario. One can imagine meetings where Hollywood exec's are strutting spouting about how many dvds could fit on a single Blu-ray disc blah de blah piracy going wild...

I would think that the potential for protection is even greater...... the added storage and handling abilities will mean that more sophisticated protection can be used and surely will. But, the hacking technology has likewise moved on, i dont think blue ray will manage to stay un hacked for long. If holywod thinks otherwise, it is sadly mistaken. They should cut their losses, forget the protection, employ more people to find the pirates.

ad

Or reduce the profit per item, reducing the profitability of piracy. They will still make the same amount simply spread over more units sold for a lower price.

nunew33 said

Or reduce the profit per item, reducing the profitability of piracy

Quite agree! It amazes me how unwilling/unable the studios are to grasp this simple truth. I remember when domestic VCR's launched in the US and Disney took Sony to court in an effort the get the record facility disabled! Of course now, software sales account for the majority of a films profit by far.

Yummy Fur

The record labels fail to reconise many simple truths. Their artificial price structure means that piracy will always be rampant!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom