Blu Ray with dual band 5 Ghz wifi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peterm3, Aug 8, 2013.

1. peterm3

peterm3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At home there are 20 other wifi networks which means serious congestion on 2.4 GHz. I have had to move to 5 GHz for my laptop. I really want a Blu Ray player with 5 GHz wifi, but even on the 2013 models of Sony, Panasonic, LG etc I haven't found one with 5 GHz. Some are 802.11n but only on 2.4 GHz which is not the same. Ideally it would have more than just BBC iplayer, but I think very few Blu Ray players have more than that.
    It is to connect to a Sony KDL-32EX713.
    I have just found the LG BP630 appears to have 5 GHz!
    Basically I need a Blu Ray player, and to add wifi to my telly using the official Sony dongle will cost 45 quid. So might as well buy a Blu Ray with wifi.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Pete

2. Philip4242

Philip4242
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Although the congestion I see at home is nowhere near as bad as yours (but I still had drop-outs and lower speeds), I've made great improvements by simply setting my router to use a fixed 2.4GHz channel other than Channels 1, 6 or 11, which is what most routers tend to use, when set to 'Auto'.

If you use an app to monitor the channel occupancy (I use Wifi Analyser on Android, but there are many available, for every platform), you'll see routers coming and going every 20 seconds, or so, as they try to find a 'better' channel, when they receive a 'request' from their associated devices.

If you set your router to use only fixed channel 4 or 8, although you have some overlap with the other router's signals, you should find that your signal remains steady and reliable - well, that's what I find !

Just as an aside, we lost our mains power for about 1 1/2 hours the other night (along with several hundred houses on our estate).

I've just looked at my channel app, and I can see that EVERY router (apart from mine !) is now fighting the others on channel 1 !

3. peterm3

peterm3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been using inSSIDer inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek on windows, and there are wifi networks fairly evenly distributed on all channels. There is a pub in my street, which seems to have an extremely powerful set of access points, across several channels. I think they must have one in the roof of the building which lets the signal out very strongly through the tiles.
    Lucky for me that no one as yet has discovered 5 GHz, which in some ways is surprising given most Apple wifi equipment works on 5 GHz.
    I've ordered the LG BP 630 from amazon warehouse, so hopefully that will work well. I kind of assume streaming HD video will need a wifi signal at least as reliable as the one I use for general surfing.

Pete

4. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Read the reviews on Bluray players and concentrate on the reliability/picture quality not if it has wifi.
    You may find a better Bluray player for the same money that doesn't have wifi at all.
    If you want to connect multiple devices in the same location to a 5Ghz network just connect them to a dual band multi-port bridge using their LAN connections.
    TP-Link TL-WA890EA N600 Universal Dual-Band 4-Port Wi-Fi Entertainment Adapter, TV Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

5. peterm3

peterm3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My logic was £45 wifi to ethernet bridge + £55 Blu Ray player with smart features > £80 LG Blu Ray with 5 GHz wifi. I'm also a bit worried about the hassle of setting up a wifi bridge, and an extra power brick! I think in the long term these extra boxes will become as small as the Google Chromecast - I could believe we might see a Lovefilm HDMI stick for example. Obviously these dongles have wifi built-in.
    I do still love the idea of Blu Ray in that you can keep the movie forever and lend the disc to a friend, which you can't do with most legal downloads / streaming services. If only ITV player and 4od were not exclusive to Samsung Smart TVs, that would make life much easier.

Pete